Parallels Tools won't install

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by michaelstanford, Mar 16, 2007.

1. michaelstanford

michaelstanford Bit poster

I upgraded to build 1386 with no problem, then today downloaded and installed build 1388. It started nagging me about enabling the CD so it could install Parallels Tools, so I enabled the CD and restarted, then selected Actions/Install Parallels Tools. Nothing happened, except the Actions menu item changed to "Cancel Parallels Tools installation," so I went in to the Windows Control Panel and uninstalled the previous version of Parallels Tools in the "Add/Remove Programs" window.
    I rebooted Windows and selected "Install Parallels Tools." Same thing. Ten minutes later nothing was happening except the Actions menu now said "Cancel Parallels Tools installation."
    I shut down Windows, Quit Parallels, restarted it, restarted Windows, selected "Actions/Install Parallels Tools." Same thing. Nothing happens except the Actions menu now says "Cancel Parallels Tools installation." The Windows Task Manager doesn't show any applications running, and no processes with "parallels" in their name.
    Any ideas?

2. michaelstanford

michaelstanford Bit poster

Install directly off the virtual CD

After delving through the Windows registry I discovered that there is a virtual CD mounted as drive D with an exe file to install parallels tools. I clicked on this in File Explorer and Parallels Tools installed. So now everything is beautiful, in its own way.

3. Eagle246

Eagle246 Junior Member

Sounds like you had fun! Thats a good tip, might be useful to others should be put into an faq or somthing.

4. pigwiggle

pigwiggle Member

Funny, I was running Compressor today and noticed it was mounted as a virtual drive.

5. peter9112

peter9112 Bit poster

Hi... I have the same problem ...where did you find this exe file???

6. illitrate

illitrate Bit poster

this happens every time there is an upgrade, and everytime i come to this forum to find out how to run it manually again and notice there's a lot of people asking new questions. Someone should really sticky the original thread that describes how it's done - or better yet, maybe one of the future updates could actually fix this problem?
    i'll come back once i've found the thread with the answer in it and give you the link to it

here we go - try this:
    http://forum.parallels.com/post27000-2.html

i wonder if it might be because i've changed the name of my Macintosh HD so possibly windows can't find the image to mount when you use the menu to re-install the Tools?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2007