FreeBSD help anyone?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rdscow, Mar 13, 2007.

1. rdscow

rdscow Junior Member

Hi, I'm trying to install a VM with FreeBSD 6.2, on a MBP and have a few questions. I d/l'd the three .iso files from FreeBSD.org. I went on to create a new VM using the install .iso. No X of course, but I did have access to the command line. I had a few problems...and am ready to start over. I have burned the .iso's to disk, now.

1. Where does the second .iso come in? When do I use it to access the CVS tree for the apps?

2. What tricks do I have to do to get internet access? I plan to use bridged mode, like I did with my Ubuntu VM. Do I have to change anything or point anywhere in the setup for FreeBSD?

3. I found a site which pointed me in the right direction (I think) for setting up Xorg. Any other tips on this?

4. I plan to use Gnome or Gnome2 as my GUI, unless someone thinks KDE is better for this OS.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2007
  2. rubenerd

rubenerd Junior Member

Hope this helps

Another FreeBSD user, rock on :D

From my own experience (save for build 3036) intsalling FreeBSD is relatively painless.

1. I believe the 2nd ISO contains mostly extra packages. I actually just downloaded the first image, mounted it in the VM, restarted and installed a barebones system and used "portsnap fetch extract" to get the ports tree, much easier (and apparently more secure) than CVS. FreeBSD 6.0 onwards I think has portsnap by default. Then you can go into your "/usr/ports/" and "make install clean" anything you want.

2. I use Shared Networking personally, but I tested Bridged Mode on my VM and it works fine out of the box without any configuration. When you're in the FreeBSD setup and it asks you about ethernet adaptors, select the first one on the list, and choose "YES" when asked about DHCP. All there is to it, works beautifully.

3. I documented on my blog (http://rubenerdshow.com/blog/x11-freebsd-parallels/) how I got X11 working in FreeBSD. If you're in a hurry I posted a link to my xorg.conf file there too.

4. I personally like KDE better than GNOME, it seems more responsive in Parallels, I just get irritated by the second-or-so lagtime with the icons loading in GNOME menus every time. Then again I'm very picky ;). I used the "kde3base" or "gnome-lite" ports (I think those are the names) to install them, then add whatever I want afterwards. Xfce works very nicely too.

Only thing though I haven't been able to get working on FreeBSD on Parallels is sound, though I think that's a limitation with Parallels. I use my VM as a sandbox for programming and testing new packages though so sound is less important.

Hope that helps, let me know if I can be of more assistance. :)

Last edited: Mar 14, 2007
  3. rdscow

rdscow Junior Member

Thanks. Got it installed

I'm working on getting FreeBSD and KDE configured now. I want to try to figure out how to get my sound working. Gonna Google on for that.

THanks very much for your post and your link.

Roger

4. rdscow

rdscow Junior Member

What about Linux sound driver?

Since I'm having no luck finding a BSD sound driver, what about a lInux one?

Any way to do that?