Internet Explorer problem

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by madmoggies, Mar 18, 2007.

1. madmoggies

madmoggies Bit poster

When testing out new/revised website pages before uploading them to the internet, I can open them in Firefox in my Windows XP VM via my shared folders, but if I copy and paste the link into Internet Explorer 7 it tells me it can't find the page. Ditto if I try to open them in Windows Internet Explorer from inside the Mac, via the contextual menu.

I'm not familiar with Windows, so I may be missing something really basic. I've checked all the Internet Explorer settings and they seem OK to me but there could be something that haven't encountered before and don't know about - I've done a search of these forums and couldn't find a solution. On my Mac I have the firewall set for Personal File Sharing, Windows Sharing and Personal Web Sharing, so am at a loss as to what else I need to do. I'm assuming it's an Internet Explorer problem as Firefox opens the files OK.

PS Internet Explorer works fine for browsing the internet.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  2. pigwiggle

pigwiggle Member

Firefox has a nice plugin that allows you to open a tab that uses the IE rendering engine. That way you can test the site "in" IE while using firefox. I know that doesn't answer your question, but it seems like an ideal solution.

3. madmoggies

madmoggies Bit poster

Thanks, pigwiggle, I'll take a look at that.

4. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Do you know if that includes Active X control support as well?

5. pigwiggle

pigwiggle Member

Here is their site.

http://ietab.mozdev.org/

They note "IE's ActiveX enable/disable settings do NOT work", although I don't know if that discounts activex.

6. pigwiggle

pigwiggle Member

Just tried and activex works.

7. madmoggies

madmoggies Bit poster

The pages open fine in IE7 using the tab in Firefox. Thanks!

I've now installed 'Multiple IE' and would like to test pages in older versions too, as I'm sure lots of people haven't upgraded yet, but the one I've tried so far, IE6, won't open the files from my 'Shared Folders' directly either.

It has to be an IE problem as I can open pages in both Firefox and the IE tab in Firefox with no problem. Has anyone any idea what might be blocking IE from finding the files? It's probably something blatantly obvious to anyone familiar with IE for Windows (a security setting or similar, though I've had a good look at them and can't find anything that looks relevant) but something that a Mac user might not be aware of.

It would save me a lot of time if I had an answer to this!