To Upgrade Or Not To Upgrade -- 3188

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by CStephen84, Mar 17, 2007.

1. CStephen84

CStephen84 Member

I read about a lot of problems with the latest upgrade on here. However, I would not expect that everyone for whom 3188 is working great to post and tell us. I am currently running 3186 and was waiting to read the forum before upgrading to 3188. The windows side of my MAC with Parallels is critical to my business and I cannot afford a breakdown in the system for any length of time. So--what are the benefits of 3188 over 3186 to anyone who likes the new upgrade? This may be posted elsewhere but I haven't found it yet. I don't suppose it fixed any of the USB issues -- I am a Blackberry 8703e user and would really like to be able to synch with Outlook.

Thanks.

2. CStephen84

CStephen84 Member

Ha! Nobody recommends 3188!

3. David5000

David5000 Pro

Well, not for the last two hours or so at least . . .

I am using 3188 with WinXP Pro on a MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo 3 G with 10.4.9. It works fine, as did 1970 and 3188. I frankly don't know what the actual improvements are from one to the other, though, except that I assume, perhaps wrongly, that there were bug fixes.

I am not using Coherence, by the way. I use Parallels only to run QuickBooks (plus AVG antivirus, antispyware, antimalware) and it doesn't seem particularly useful to me--it's easy enough for me to use Command+Tab to navigate to Parallels when it is open or to open it from the Dock.

As for avoiding downtime, I am in the same position in my business. I assume you have at least one external FW drive with a bootable clone of your hard drive in case anything goes wrong with your installation? This should relieve you of anxiety.

David

4. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

It's always smart to go with the latest release. At least that's what I think.

5. drval

drval Pro

I agree and I have had no problems with build 3188. I do all of my Windows development work in Parallels but do not have a Blackberry to interface, so I really can't comment on that.

6. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

BTW, I had absolutely no problems with build 3188 either.

7. masonjames

masonjames Junior Member

I upgraded from 3186 on my Macbook Pro c2d and have had no problems running windows xp. I used a set of instructions I found on these forums for my installation and everything went off without a hitch.
    Here's a copy of the instructions:
    1. Boot the VM and uninstall Parallels tools
    2. Shut down the VM and close Parallels
    3. Install the new build of Parallels
    4. Start the VM
    5. Install Parallels tools. Use the Parallels pull-down menu under 'Actions' to 'Install Parallels Tools'
    Hope all goes well for you!

8. jaccolon3

jaccolon3 Junior Member

How do you make a bootable clone of your hard drive?

9. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

If you mean a bootable OS X clone then the Unix dd command works. There are third party utilities available as well. If you mean bootable clone of a virtual machine then you just copy the virtual machine files to a new location. The vm has to be fully stopped.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2007
  10. CStephen84

CStephen84 Member

I upgraded to build 3188 and everything is working great. Thanks to those who took the time to suggest that I do so. Steve