Parallels 3188 working perfectly for me except...

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by slimemold, Mar 18, 2007.

1. slimemold

slimemold Hunter

Whenever I boot into my bootcamp WinXP, I get an overlay warning that Parallels Tools is in the process of being installed. However, Parallels Tools is already installed as far as I know (nothing in device manager is banged out, coherence is working perfectly, etc).

This is just a little annoying. How does Parallels determine whether that overlay warning should appear? I'd like to make it go away.

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

If Parallels Tools are really installed they will show up on the task bar of Windows, bottom right side in XP, or in the control panel in the add/remove software option. It's worth exploring as there have been frequent failures to complete the installation of the tools that requires rebooting Windows with F8 pressed to get to a maintenance screen.

3. slimemold

slimemold Hunter

Yup. I see the Parallels Tools systray icon, and it works properly as far as I can tell. I also see Parallels Tools in the Add/Remove programs, and the support page of that claims that it's version 3188. So everything does look fine to me, except for that weird overlay warning.

4. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Some have suggested uninstalling Parallels Tools, restarting everything, then re-installing them. Might be worth a try.

5. mjmac

mjmac Bit poster

Check CD/DVD Connection

Awhile back after installing an update, I had the same problem. Ended up that Parallels Tools had created a disk image of itself and it was mounting the image in the CD/DVD ROM every time I booted. All I did was select Default CD/DVD ROM from the Device Pull Down Menu and it went away.

6. mmika

mmika Pro

mjmac, are you really booting or resuming?
    Wnen VM is resuming, all CDROM drives are reconnecting. After vmtools.iso has reconnected, autorun starts . So, before suspending VM disconnect vmtools.iso at first.

7. simonandersen

simonandersen Bit poster

Isn't it just the Parallels bootcamp support doing it's magic? I think a special setup in Windows is created that allows it to boot on the Parallels virtualized hardware. During bootup the configuration is automatically selected by the parallels tools.

If you boot via Boot Camp doesn't the boot stall for a few seconds while waiting for you to pick the appropriate hardware config?

8. mjmac

mjmac Bit poster

Thanks for the suggestion, but as I said in my post, I did that and the problem went away. I posted the scenario as a possibility for slimemold to try.

9. bpeter

bpeter Junior Member

Well, it happens sometimes that autorun didn't work well, so you should give a try manually open the mounted disk from windows explorer.

It actually started the Parallels Tools installation for me.
    Good luck!

10. slimemold

slimemold Hunter

Hmm. Maybe this is just expected behavior? To simonandersen, no, when I boot via bootcamp, there is no config selection (I assume the kind of config selection after post that you would normally get if you had multiple boot.ini entries).

To mjmac, Default CD/DVD ROM is already selected in the Devices pulldown.

I wish I had my Mac handy so I can supply a screenshot. I'll try to do that later.