Beta5 startup issue

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by bcohen44, Apr 27, 2006.

1. bcohen44

bcohen44 Bit poster

After installing Beta5 on my Mac Mini, I get the following message when trying to start Parallels:

Parallels Workstation is unable to operate properly since it cannot communicate with one of its drivers. Try to restart the application to overcome the issue. If restart doesn't help, re-install Parallel's Workstation

I did try re-installing Beta5...same issue. This did not happen on Beta1-4 previously for me, everything was working.

Any ideas?

-Brian

2. Don Benot

Don Benot Bit poster

I am having the same problem on a MacBook Pro. Nothing I've tried has seemed to work. I emailed support and as of yet, I haven't heard from them. It's very frustrating. :(

3. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del Bit poster

same for me (mac book pro), beta 1-4 working ok :(

4. STim

STim Bit poster

Hello,

We're doing our best to answer anyone by email in timely manner, but first days after the public release it is not that easy task :)

Please try the following:
    1. Open terminal (Applications->Utilities->Terminal)
    2. Run the "kextcache -k /System/Library/Extensions" command.
    3. Reboot MacOS.

This should help.

BTW, what is your MacOS version?

5. Brad

Brad Bit poster

Same issue for me on a MacBook Pro.

I manually removed all things parallels except the VM in ~/Library/Parallels. Rebooted. Installed beta 5 and it launched fine.

Since I removed all prefs etc it required me to re-enter my key.

In hindsight I imagine this may have been solved by just rebooting and clearing the old statup items from memory. Or maybe by removing just the /Library/StartupItems/Parallels/ folder and rebooting before installing.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2006
  6. ctrl+alt+del

ctrl+alt+del Bit poster

7. n9yty

n9yty Member

I had to reboot after installing beta5 to remove the above error, but nothing more. No need for me, anyway, to empty the kextcache.

8. bcohen44

bcohen44 Bit poster

It looks like a simple reboot worked...thanks for the quick responses.

-Brian

9. Don Benot

Don Benot Bit poster

Thanks, that worked. Please forgive my impatience. BTW, I'm running 10.4.6.

10. brian

brian Junior Member

I'm seeing this on 10.4.6 with a MBP and iMac, but only just after rebooting. I can watch kextstat and see that it takes at least 30 seconds or so for the hypervisor and vmmain kexts to load. As long as you wait a few extra seconds, PW starts right up.