FAT32 to NTFS

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by gregoiph, Mar 9, 2007.

1. gregoiph

gregoiph Bit poster

I have a Boot Camp FAT32 partition and I have all kind of problems with it. I would like to convert it to NTFS. What would be the safest way to do that?

I did an image backup of the partition using Acronis True Image. It seems to work but you know what they say, backups always work, it is the restore that always failed ;) . So I am a bit reluctant to reformat and restore from the backup since no one have ever test if Acronis really works with a Boot Camp/Parallels setup. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. PubGuy

PubGuy Hunter

Converting TO NTFS is easy

Converting a FAT32 to NTFS is easy and can be done without reformatting. Here is how:

Converting to NTFS Using the Setup Program
    The Setup program makes it easy to convert your partition to the new version of NTFS, even if it used FAT or FAT32 before. This kind of conversion keeps your files intact (unlike formatting a partition).
    Setup begins by checking the existing file system. If it is NTFS, conversion is not necessary. If it is FAT or FAT32, Setup gives you the choice of converting to NTFS. If you don't need to keep your files intact and you have a FAT or FAT32 partition, it is recommended that you format the partition with NTFS rather than converting from FAT or FAT32. (Formatting a partition erases all data on the partition and allows you to start fresh with a clean drive.) However, it is still advantageous to use NTFS, regardless of whether the partition was formatted with NTFS or converted.
    Top of page
    Converting to NTFS Using Convert.exe
    A partition can also be converted after Setup by using Convert.exe. For more information about Convert.exe, after completing Setup, click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER. In the command window, type help convert, and then press ENTER.
    It is easy to convert partitions to NTFS. The Setup program makes conversion easy, whether your partitions used FAT, FAT32, or the older version of NTFS. This kind of conversion keeps your files intact (unlike formatting a partition.
    To find out more information about Convert.exe
    After completing Setup, click Start, click Run, type cmd, and then press ENTER.
    In the command window, type help convert and then press ENTER. Information about converting FAT volumes to NTFS is made available as shown below.

Converting FAT volumes to NTFS
    To convert a volume to NTFS from the command prompt
    Open Command Prompt. Click Start, point to All Programs, point to Accessories, and then click Command Prompt.
    In the command prompt window, type: convert drive_letter: /fs:ntfs
    For example, typing convert D: /fs:ntfs would format drive D: with the ntfs format. You can convert FAT or FAT32 volumes to NTFS with this command.
    Important Once you convert a drive or partition to NTFS, you cannot simply convert it back to FAT or FAT32. You will need to reformat the drive or partition which will erase all data, including programs and personal files, on the partition.

3. catwink20

catwink20 Junior Member

PubGuy information worked for me execpt it erased my win/xp/sp2 drive. Which wasn't a problem since I copied a backed-up drive (always keep one handy if you can spare the space/on MacBook Pro I use external seagate- works phenominally). I just did file:import from my back-up drive and it put everthiing back. (see post below drive was not erased).

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007
  4. catwink20

catwink20 Junior Member

Clearly I did something wrong the first time. Tried again since I had time and the HD was not erased...operator error thanks PubGuy.

(Drive not Erased folder/files invisible)
    P.S. If it appears your new NTFS disk is blank it is not the folders on it have become invisible (hidden). Do not reload windows.
    Add your new disk as a second drive (E:) will appear in windows/My Computer. Double click the drive and it will ask if you want to make the folders visible...of course yes is the answer. Do this to each MAJOR folder Documents and Setting, Program Files, Windows and Config.Msi... you do not have to do this to every single folder just these.
    (do not use a utility to do this or all you hidden files will become visible, trust me, you don't want that.)
    Next time you try to log into your new drive all should be well, if not a major folder was not clicked.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2007