Connect CD/DVD or Image File freezes VM

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by sdavissm, Mar 17, 2007.

1. Gregory McNamee

Gregory McNamee Bit poster

Good lord. Sdavissm, post an email address and I'll send you atapi.sys. Load it into, say, your shared documents folder. Go to Control Panel, then open up System, then Hardware to the Device Manager. Go to the CD/DVD controller, delete it, and reboot. Repeat the process above; you'll find that the device manager has a question mark by the CD/DVD controller. Click "update driver" and point it to the atapi.sys that you've got tucked away.

If all this doesn't work, it's time to declare the new version of Parallels junk and hope for a fix next time.

2. mmika

mmika Pro

Gregory McNamee, have you tried this? I think it will not work. At first, windows will not install driver without INF file... secondly, as I said above , atapi.sys is not cdrom driver.

3. sdavissm

sdavissm Junior Member

Good Lord Gregory. You don't have to make such snide remarks.

4. sdavissm

sdavissm Junior Member

I don't know how, but it's working now. It's frustrating not knowing what I did to make it work. When I booted up today I saw a couple of "found new hardware messages" about the CD rom. Now it works.

5. Gregory McNamee

Gregory McNamee Bit poster

mmika: I did try this and it worked. Perhaps it was miraculous, just as sdavissm's setup now seems to be working.

sdavissm: My "good lord" comment was over the increasingly complicated and uncertain exchanges over what to do, not over anything you said or did. Here's a genuinely snide comment, though: Read before you write, think before you react.