Can I open my windows files in OSX?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by macjunkie, Mar 19, 2007.

1. macjunkie

macjunkie Bit poster

Is there a way for the VM to share with OSX the way OSX shares with VM? I tried to search with Finder for some files I have in My Documents on my XP - nothing came up. Thank you.

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Share the folder the files are in from Windows and use Mac's Samba to attach to that share. Just the same as any two systems that share files.

3. macjunkie

macjunkie Bit poster

thank you, sir. would you happen to know how to share the files (or folders?)in xp?

4. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

easiest to do it in Parrallels Desktop >> menu >> Devices >> Shared Folders >> Add

Hugh W

5. macjunkie

macjunkie Bit poster

if i'm not mistaken, that's how you can share your mac folders with you xp. i need the opposite. i need to access my xp folders from osx....

6. pigwiggle

pigwiggle Member

I was doing this back in the day when the shared folder was sooooo slow. You need to enable windows sharing on your max, install bonjour for windows on the windows side, and then set all the correct user names; if I recall correctly. I'll look through the forums and see if I can dig up the tutorial.

7. pigwiggle

pigwiggle Member

8. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

Here is a quick and easy way to share a Windows folder for OS/X to access:

On the Windows VM side (I am assuming you are using XP Pro):

1. Right click on the folder you want to share, select "Properties" from the drop down.

2. Click Sharing tag. Look at the "Network sharing and security" section in the middle. If this is the first time you do this, you might see some verbiage telling you to run a network wizard or just share without using wizard. Click sharing without wizard to reveal share folder options.

3. Check "Share this folder on the network", change the "Share name" if you want to, and check "Allow network users to change my files" if you want OS/X to write to that folder.

4. Click Ok.

5. Find the ip address of the XP VM. You can do that by running ipconfig in a Command Prompt window.

Now move over to the OS/X side.

1. In the Finder, Click "Go" menu, select "Connect to Server...".

2. Type smb://x.x.x.x/ in the Server Address: where x.x.x.x is the ip address of the XP VM. Click Connect.

3. If all goes well, you should see SMB/CIFS System Authentication dialog shows up. Enter your Windows user name and password. Click OK.

4. The next dialog allows you to choose which folder to connect. If you have shared more than one folders, pick the one you want from the drop down. Click OK.

5. Now the Windows folder should show up as a disk in OS/X.

Note: to maximize performance and to reduce network trafffic, create a Host-Only network for the Windows VM and use that ip address for connection.

9. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Another excellent post to add to the How To forum a couple clicks up from here.

10. pigwiggle

pigwiggle Member

Should mention, the drawback here is that you will need network connectivity to share this way.

11. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

No, not really. If you don't have a real network connection, all you need to do is to add a Host-only network to the Windows VM. OS/X will automatically use the Parallels Host-Guest network interface to communicate with it.

12. pigwiggle

pigwiggle Member

Good to know, thanks.