USB in beta5

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by STim, Apr 26, 2006.

1. STim

STim Bit poster

Beta5 introduces initial implementation of USB support. For now, it has a couple of serious limitations:

* Only USB flash disks are proven to work with the VM. Other devices are not supported yet but may work.
    * It is necessary to Eject the USB flash device from MacOSX prior to connecting it to the guest OS.

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2006
  2. maverick808

maverick808 Hunter

Oh, so I can't sync my PDA or phone yet?

3. wizzo

wizzo Junior Member

* Only USB flash disks are proven to work with the VM. Other devices are not supported yet but may work.
    * It is necessary to Eject the USB flash device from MacOSX prior to connecting it to the guest OS.

4. topazx5

topazx5 Bit poster

can't see my cruzer mini 1.0gb flash drive

It's not showing up in My Computer, even though it's checked in the Devices/USB menu.

5. dan_ee

dan_ee Bit poster

Is USB support pass-through to the OS running in the VM? Or does the USB device need to be supported in OSX in order to work with parallels?

Is there going to be any limit on the number of devices that can be attached to the guest OS? (I think vmware limits you to two devices, which isn't ideal.)

6. blshaw45

blshaw45 Member

Tim:

I was disappointed that only flash drives are supported at this time, but that's certainly a start. But I can't even get XP to see a flash drive. I plug it in when in VM mode, but only OSX sees it, not XP. And 'USB' is dimmed in the 'Devices' menu. What am I missing?

7. Fool

Fool Bit poster

I was able to install a USB to serial adaptor and its working fine. The windows app can read the comm device and I'm ready to buy Parallels.

Thanks guys

8. bripirie

bripirie Bit poster

Wow, you guys are working a breakneck speed to improve this product. I can't believe how far it's come from beta 1!

On the subject of USB support for devices other than flash disks that may or may not work at this time, I can report on one device that doesn't:

USB home automation interface (ActiveHome CM15A) is not recognized by Windows / or ActiveHome Pro software. FWIW, this does work in Virtual PC.

I'm glad to hear that you're planning to further improve USB support. Using devices such as these that don't have necessary software support on Mac, is obviously a key reason for people to use Parallels.

Keep up the great work!

9. aranganath

aranganath Bit poster

installed beta 5, but still no USB support

Device Manager in XP doesn't show any USB devices, and the USB option under the Devices menu is greyed out. I upgraded the Parallels tools and rebooted the image, but no luck. Do I need to do a full reinstall of XP to have USB enabled?

Thanks,
    Anoop

10. n9yty

n9yty Member

Did you update your VM configuration by adding the USB Controller to it?

After you load your VM configuration, but before you PowerOn, hit the Edit, then Add, and add a USB controller.

Then Power On your VM and the guest OS should see it and add drivers if needed.

11. cineologist

cineologist Bit poster

Webcams (Logitech)

I am currently working for Hands On Services and we specialize in Video Relay Service where our main source of business relies on video conferencing.

It would be awesome to see that our USB Webcams (currently using Logitech) would work with Parallels through its USB support. I gave it a try and it was able to recognize the hardware and its name; however, it is unable to function. The Device Manager has a yellow "!" symbol on the logitech webcam itself.

I've even installed the latest drivers from Logitech but no cigar.

Is there a plan to support USB-based webcams? If so, Parallels will see an instant buy for 50 software licenses from Hands On Services, Inc.

Chad

12. rich_w

rich_w Member

could you do a play by play on how you got this to work and which adapter you're using....

Has anyone else gotten any USB devices to work?

13. donniev

donniev Bit poster

Spontaneous reboots using usb flash drive

I had at least three spontaneous reboots when i had a flash drive connected. I couldnt tell anything useful in the M$ error message other than it was a "windows stop due to a device driver error"

14. florjan

florjan Bit poster

Canon Printer

Canon Pixma IP 3000 works flawlessly
    (Canon-Drivers had been installed before for use with bonjour)

Don't forget to:
    + Add USB Port Device in Machine Prefs
    + Connect USB-Device in Device Menu
    + Wait a moment for Windows to recognize it and do some installing

15. Tommo_UK

Tommo_UK Junior Member

K750 mobile USB connection problem

I'm trying to connect my SE K750 mobile phone, which usually appears as a flash drive on the desktop of either a Windows or an OS X machine when plugged into the USB port.

However, parallels responds with

"USB device you are trying to connect to the virtual machine is being used by another process. Wait 5-10 seconds, then try to connect the device again. If this does not help, find the application that blocked up the device and disconnect it manually."

...every time I try to connect to it in the USB menu, even when I have unmounted the K750 from the OS X desktop. Anyone know how to do this?

16. averver

averver Bit poster

Could you please tell us which USB to serial adaptor you had working. Thanks.

17. darrimil

darrimil Bit poster

SANS Mini Cruzer Doesn't work

I have windows detect the mini cruzer flash drive, but it won't actually mount the drive. I see error 10 in windows XP under device manager. Any ideas of what I should look at for troubleshooting? Thanks.

18. skelley

skelley Bit poster

I gt the same thing when I connect a Blackberry. Is there some wat to force OSX to let go of the device ? It does not show up on the desktop to "eject" or anything.

19. rich_w

rich_w Member

I think the claim that beta5 supports "a wide range of USB devices" was a bit premature...

20. Did you unmount it from your OS X side before trying to see it under Windows?