1 VM spontaneously opens - Coherence

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by AUSTraveler, Mar 21, 2007.

1. AUSTraveler

AUSTraveler Bit poster

Apologies if this issue has been covered. I wasn't able to find anything in the archives, but that may be because I couldn't come up with the right search terms.

I have several WinXP VMs that I upgraded from earlier releases. I saw this problem on 3186. I'm on 3188 now, and I still see the problem.

I have 1 VM which I occasionally run with Coherence. The others typically run in a window. In the latter set, I will sometimes be working and start a program (e.g. command prompt, Explorer, IE, FireFox, etc.) and the Coherence VM will launch. In the Coherence VM, if I'm already logged in, it seems like a similar program will automatically launch.

This is seriously annoying since it takes up a good amount of system resources everytime the Coherence VM launches. Does anyone have a fix for this?

2. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

This means that Windows app you are starting was originaly from other VM. In case you already running VM, but start app from the other VM - other VM will start in Coherence mode as well.

To solve this you have to remove Windows app link which is associated with unwanted VM, then start this app in wanted VM and keep this link in Mac for furthure app launches.

3. AUSTraveler

AUSTraveler Bit poster

If I understand you correctly there is a way to link apps from within 1 VM to another? If I've done this, I didn't intend to. The apps I am starting are from within the window, not links on my Mac desktop or on the dock. For instance, I will open a new command prompt from within Windows on 1 VM, and the Coherence VM will start.

4. hippotech

hippotech Member

I also had this issue. It is fixed by having each VM in it's own folder so they all have unique "Windows Applications" folders beneath them

Hippo

5. AUSTraveler

AUSTraveler Bit poster

That was it! Thanks. I'll run with the VMs in their own folders with their own "Windows Applications" subfolders for a while and report back if there are still problems.