Beta 5 VM hangs on network access?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dweebert, Apr 27, 2006.

1. dweebert

dweebert Member

I've noticed a few cases where my VM completely freezes up when running beta 5. Parallels itself continues to run normally - I can operate the menus, and even pause or suspend the VM, but the VM is in a state where it is completely unsable.

This seems to happen when I attempt to access the network - particularly file sharing. It might be related to using "default adaptor" for the network instead of en0/en1, as I do hop between wired and wireless networks.

I haven't had a lot of opportunity to experiment with it. Networking in general seems to work quite well still, and Parallels Workstation still blows the socks off my Desktop PC when it comes to compiling code. After restarting the VM, I was able last night to do a CVS update or our code across the network, and then perform a complete build (about 1.5 hours with the CPU pinned) without any unusual behaviour.

2. dweebert

dweebert Member

Hmm, I seem to be able to reproduce this more easily than I thought.

I just open "My Network Places", and then click "View network connections" in the sidebar, and she's gone. Suspending and reanimating the VM leaves it in a frozen state.

Host: MPB, 2.16 GHz, 2 GB RAM
    Gueset: XP SP2
    Options: Bridged networking (en0), Shared folders disabled

3. janiner

janiner Member

I'm seeing this too.

I had IE up and had loaded cnn.com to see if the network was working, and it was. I then suspended the VM and when I brought it back, it was frozen. I restarted it, ran IE and tried to go to cnn.com again. This time it froze without even loading the page. Restarted again, this time was able to load cnn.com with no problems. Suspended, brought back, it was ok but as soon as I clicked in a link on the previously loaded page, it froze.

When I say froze I mean completely - nothing works, the start menu does not open, windows don't move, etc. It's like I'm mousing around on a screen shot.

Something seems to be amiss in Beta 5. I didn't work with Beta 4 for very long before upgrading but it seemed more stable to me.