3188 very slow on Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by David Watson, Mar 22, 2007.

1. David Watson

David Watson Junior Member

System specs:
    Mac Pro 2.66GHz, 5GB RAM, ATI Video.

Just upgraded to 10.4.9, and had to upgrade to 3188.

Previously was very fast, but now I constantly get spinning beachballs. Tried changing all kinds of settings, no luck.

3188 is fine on my Macbook Pro C2D with 3GB RAM - just as fast as the previous version.

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

How much RAM do you have allocated?

3. David Watson

I've tried anything between 500MB and 1500MB. No difference.

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

What happens if you roll-back to 10.4.8 and then drop on 3188?

5. David Watson

Is there some way to do that other than an Archive and Install? I don't want to do that unless I have to.

6. VTMac

VTMac Pro

When in doubt, try uninstalling tools, reboot, reinstall tools.

7. David Watson

Done that as well.

8. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

I always just image my disk before-hand to have a 'ready-dump'...

Which Archive and Install are you referring to?

9. David Watson

When you install MacOS, if you already have MacOS installed, you have the choice to either wipe your disk and install clean, or do an Archive and Install - Archive and Install will rename your System folder, but leave everything else alone. Unfortunately, you can't switch back to the old System after you do that.

10. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Right, ok, we are on the same page then. I guess that would be the only way if you do not have a back-up. Do you have a drive you can image your disk to? Then update to 10.4.8 to try to isolate your trouble?

Also, seeing how long that that will probably take, take this route first... Back-up your Parallels, completely un-install it. (Run their utility, then use spotlight), re-install with the previous build you were using... Or is that not compatible with 10.4.9? Have you tried getting Onyx or a similar utility and dumping all your temp files, and optimizing your system, and other system tool goodies like that? Also, you can try re-indexing and defragmenting your drive...

11. David Watson

Does anybody know if there are earlier betas of Parallels that would run on 10.4.9? I'm going to try a few, but if there are known working versions, that would save a lot of time.

12. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Actually I do know of one that is on a client's Intel C2D 2.33 GHz Laptop running OS 10.4.9 with 2GB of RAM that runs quite zippily... It is: 3120, I think that that is RC2.

Downside of that build, his laptop completely crashes an awful lot... I am going to test out 3188 on it soon... But if it is a desparingly slow I will see if 3186 works...

13. David Watson

3036 Works

I just installed build 3036, and I do not get the huge pauses like with 3188. So I'm pretty sure it's not 10.4.9, but rather something with 3188. Unfortunately, 3036 flat out crashes unless I run it full screen, which is less than optimal.

I'm going see if 3186 works any better. Crossing fingers....

14. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Eee.... Keep trying... Report this to Parallels and see what they can do.

15. David Watson

3186 works without freezing. Although it crashes constantly, and I can't get it out of full-screen mode properly.

I'll try 3120 tomorrow....

16. Platinum Samples

Platinum Samples Member

Reinstall 10.4.9 using the Combo Update on the Apple website. The delta installer using "Software Update" is known to cause problems on lots of systems.

17. David Watson

Already reinstalled using the combo update. No difference. And I'm pretty sure it's NOT 10.4.9 that's the issue, as 3186 (and all other versions I've tried besides 3188) does not show this pausing issue.

18. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Try running some System Maintnence... You just might need some things cleaned out, it's worked for me. Onyx is a good utility.

19. LCPGUY

LCPGUY Member

Yes, it's amazing what cleaning the kernel and system caches can accomplish.

I would advise you clean all your caches with ONYX. Next restart will be very slow, subsequent ones will be fine.

20. srvp

srvp Junior Member

Maybe check processes...

...while running Parallels. I have a very similar system (only 2GB RAM though) and mine runs 3188 with XP Pro well. I did have some problems with clamscan running in the background and slowing my MacPro to a grinding halt. You may have some memory drain (clamscan would take around 1.8GB of my memory). When I'd kill the process, everything sped up again.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007