2 CD Drives?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ivnj, Mar 22, 2007.

1. ivnj

ivnj Bit poster

I just treated my self to a Mac Mini after the old PC died. I have XP-Pro and Parallels 3188 with Coherence. I love Coherence by the way. Works great. 2GB ram and 1GB allocated to XP. Blazing fast now.

But I can't use my Both CD drives at the same time.

If I reboot the Mini and put in a CD and then start Parallles it show D drive. But when I attach the Firewire it refuses to show an E drive.

But if I reboot the Mini and use the Firewire and then start Parallles it shows the Firewire as D drive but when I put a disk in the Mini refuses to show an E drive.

So I can only use 1 or the other.

Normal XP on a PC always used to let me have a D and E drive so why not parallels.

Thanks,
    ivnj

2. mmika

mmika Pro

Sorry, but I didn't understand you. To get parallels work with two drives, you need add second drive to VM confgiguration. First drive into VM configuration points to your internal drive, and the second drive points to your external drive. In this case, when you boot windows, you will be able to work with both drives. How many CD/DVD-ROM drives into your VM configuratuion?

3. ivnj

ivnj Bit poster

I'm new so go slow. I went to Edit and Virtual Machine. And added the external. Now it works. I mean both show.

But now if I OS Window or even Coherence my cd drives show on the Windows XP but refuse to show on the MAC until I quit Parallels. Is there any way to use both. I love coherence, but anyway to show the drives on both mac and PC without quitting Parallels.

Thanks,
    ivnj

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Have you tried 'disconnecting', that is unchecking, the drive via the menus when you want to use it on your Apple side?

5. ivnj

ivnj Bit poster

That did it.

Thanks,
    ivnj