WinXP suddenly started freezing (3188)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by dbrandwein, Mar 23, 2007.

1. dbrandwein

dbrandwein Junior Member

I upgraded to Build 3188 two weeks ago and had no problems until yesterday. Without changing any settings, WinXp will not boot w/i the VM. After starting the booting process in DOS, it "freezes" with a message like "Windows could not boot becasue of a Windows hard disk configuration problem" (?) There is an option to boot into "Safe Mode" but when that (or any of the other options) is selected, the booting process restarts and I get the same message again.

I cannot get out of this loop and I am stuck on the same black DOS screen every time. So I quit Parallels, try again and same happens. I have restarted the MacOS (warm and cold reboot) and retried Parallels+> same thing.

Thoughts/fixes?

Type of Mac: MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo
    Guest Operating Systems: Windows XP Professional
    Your Mac total amount of memory: 2 GB
    Amount of memory you specify for guest OS: 1.5 GB
    Build number: 3188

2. Archy

Archy Bit poster

Hello. Please try to repair your Windows installation:
    1. Insert your XP installation disk, set booting from CD
    2. Run VM, wait for copying necessary files
    3. In next screen press Enter, and then F8 to accept EULA
    4. Choose "Repair"

I hope it will help

3. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

This problem seems to be caused by some software installed in your VM. Did you perform any unusual activity in the VM before that event (installed new software, etc.)?

4. ericthered

ericthered Member

I have also had this issue and have had to repair XP several times as each time I try to start a bootcamp VM your software corrupts teh XP install again. XP runs just fine in bootcamp.

Help us please.

5. dbrandwein

dbrandwein Junior Member

I do not recall installing any new software in the VM just before this problem started. Wil try Archy's fix.

6. dbrandwein

dbrandwein Junior Member

Archy's fix did not work => after inserting WinXP CD, WinXP Setup froze. Am I supposed to do the F8 as soon as the Setup starts?

7. dbrandwein

dbrandwein Junior Member

I upgraded to Build 3188 and after a week of no problems I now get a black (and blue) screen of death that implies that there is a hard disk error on the VM I am unable to install. When I go through WinXP setup for the VM, I get error messages. When I attempt to open the VM, I get this message flashing by on the Blue Screen of Death:

"The error code is as follows:

Stop 0×00000024: NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM - This Windows stop error typically indicates that a problem occured with the file NTFS.sys such is the driver that allows the operating system to read and write to NTFS formatted harddrives. This can often be caused by harddrive problems."

I can not attach the screen shots of the blue and black screens of death but could email them to you.

Why is my VM hard disk apparently corrupted and how do I fix it?

8. Archy

Archy Bit poster

Try these solutions:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/228888/en-us

P.S. About WinXP installation freezing: we know about several problems installing WinXP SP0 (without service packs) - in this case installation process may be freezed. You need to restart installation process or use WinXP SP2 installation disk

9. dbrandwein

dbrandwein Junior Member

I have been using WinXP Pro with SP2 ( a legal official MS copy).

10. Platinum Samples

Platinum Samples Member

I had a similar issue... The XP BOOT CAMP VM hung on startup. I was forced to "Force Quit" Parallels. This corrupted the VM - I created a new Boot Camp VM which started up fine but it reported a hard disk error. I scheduled a hard drive repair on the next startup (run Chkdsk) in the Hard Drive Tools menu and it repeaired the hard drive which had been corrupted.

Rail

11. ericthered

ericthered Member

My issue soiunds similar. i have repaired the XP install through Bootcamp and run chkdsk in bootcamp. The Xp install works just fine in BC now but I still can not get Parallels to work.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling and several different VM configurations but none will boot as a VM.

I think that Parallels lied about their software being bootcamp compatable, the latest versions are no better than a bug filled beta release when used with bootcamp installations .

I finally got a response to my e-mail to support ( from over a week ago) last night, asking for a screen shot. Are there that many problems that it takes 10 days to get around to answering their support e-mail?