FreeDOS installation

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jtrojan, Mar 23, 2007.

1. jtrojan

jtrojan Bit poster

Hi,

I try to install FreeDOS 1.0, but after rebooting I always end up with the message "Invalid Operating System!". I'm using Build 3188. Any clues?

Jörg

2. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Does this message come from the BIOS or it's something that FreeDOS prints to the console? Could you provide a screenshot or something - so at least we can see what's happening?

3. jtrojan

jtrojan Bit poster

To me the message seems to come from the BIOS. See attached screenshot.

Attached Files:

4. darknerd

darknerd Bit poster

FreeDOS won't install

I get the same issue. I formatted teh partition, and then restarted, as instructed. Now I just get this "Invalid OS" thing.

I was really hoping to get this thing to work as I would like to play some older DOS favorites like Master of Magic.

- Joaquin, Los Gatos, CA.

5. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Guys, as soon as i am in our qa lab, we will investigate this.

6. slamb

slamb Junior Member

FreeDOS installation worked for me. There's a step at which you have to reboot from the CD after creating the partition table but before installing the operating system. You need to go to the VM setup and alter the boot order to do this, or you'll get that "Invalid Operating System" message when it tries to boot off the hard drive.

Now, there's a far more serious problem: the arrow keys don't work in Commander Keen. That was my whole purpose in installing the operating system! How can I play Commander Keen?

7. slamb

slamb Junior Member

Hmm, while I would like to play Commander Keen, I should play it safe and point out that I was being somewhat tongue-in-cheek. As fun as they are, I'm not suggesting prioritizing old DOS games over things like proper clock synchronization (Parallels Tools for Linux).

8. darknerd

darknerd Bit poster

Master of Magic is the one I was interested in. :)

As well as some nostalgia for trying out Desqview/X to do X/Windows in DOS. I even have old binary files of PC-NFS client from Sun Micro, and AppleTalk client from Farallon. Though those are just for nostalgia mostly. I really enjoyed those times, making stuff work.