Some issues w/ 3188

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rickbsgu, Mar 21, 2007.

1. rickbsgu

rickbsgu Member

MacBook White intel 2.0ghz/2gb/120HD
    OS 10.4.9
    WinXP Pro, full updates. 764mb dedicated to VM

I'm seeing a couple of issues that are hampering my efforts w/ XP under 3188:

1) Sound devices.
    I've been using a bluetooth headset w/ Yahoo Messenger VOIP (not available on Mac, yet.) Initially, this all works fine. However:
    • Switching to bluetooth sound device (from some other device) while the VM is running doesn't carry through to the VM. In fact, it doesn't even seem to carry through to the Parallels session. (I think the input device actually works ok - the output device does not, though). To get the VM to see and respond properly to the newly selected bluetooth device, I have to shut down the VM, shut down Parallels, and then start up both again. Possibly several times.
    • Switching the headset off loses the bluetooth connection (you expect this), but turning it back on and selecting it in the hosts never re-establishes the connection with the VM. Have to go back through the shutdown/restart sequence to get it to re-connect.
    • At one iteration of doing this, the host seemed to get confused enough it splashed the "You must restart your machine" dialog, requiring a full hardware reboot.
    • Somewhat same issues with USB sound devices, but I don't have so much of a need for that, so haven't explored it as extensively. The VOIP is a bigger application, for me.

2) VM hangs
    Seeing more of these than I have with earlier builds:
    • Once, was using MSVS 2005 (free version), with the project on a USB dongle. Kinda slow, but it kept the source in one place as I transferred between machines. VM repeatedly hung. I moved the project local, and didn't seem to have any further hang problems.
    • Using OpenOffice vsn 2.0.3 Writer in prolonged session, with a number of large images inserted into the document, caused slowdown and eventual hang. Also repeatedly. (Could be an OpenOffice issue, too...)
    • Using a USB drive continuously actually becomes more important for later application - I usually put a client's project and files on a USB disk and build/run it from there. On a standalone machine, this is quite fast. Haven't tried it with a Parallels XP VM, yet.

Note I've just upgraded to OS 10.4.9 - don't know if that introduced its own set of issues.

rickb

Last edited: Mar 21, 2007
  2. rickbsgu

rickbsgu Member

Bump.

I guess this is a yawner?

3. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Well, to me it sounds like an issue for Parallels support...

But, maybe I'm not a bright person and just 'think' it needs the programmers....

4. ebernet

ebernet Product Expert

Make sure both audio devices are set to "Default Audio" in the VM settings. I imagine you did this.
    Also, MacGizmo (the Gizmo project) now supports VOIP to Yahoo and MSN users - maybe that is a solution?

5. rickbsgu

rickbsgu Member

Haven't touched the audio settings - I think 'default' is all there is (or all I've seen.)
    'Zat right?

I'll check it out.

Thanks,
    rickb

Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
  6. rickbsgu

rickbsgu Member

It is - this is where everyone seems to be airing their issues, and the Parallels folks seem to be monitoring this forum, so I thought it was a good place to bring it out.

(and besides that, maybe someone has a solution...)

rickb

7. Christopher Nielsen

Christopher Nielsen Member

Did you use build 3186 previously, without any problems?

Regardless, add me to the list of folks who want an official answer from Parallels re: the specific changes that were made in 3188 vs. 3186. Given the number of folks who seem to be having problems with 3188, combined with the fact that 3186 is working great for me, I am hesitant to install the upgrade.

Anyone else have any thoughts/opinions?