iTunes/Windows functional?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by rhoffman, Apr 27, 2006.

1. rhoffman

rhoffman Bit poster

With Beta 5 (great job with improvements since Beta 3, BTW), when running iTunes for Windows 6.0.4.2 under Windows XP SP2, I can play MP3s, and see CDs I insert (along with the CDDB info), but if I attempt to rip the CD, or even just play a track, iTunes acts as if there's no track there, just skips to the next track (all the way to the end of the CD). Ripping to AAC produces a series of unplayable files in the library with the right name and other metadata, but file sizes in the 40-60K range, and Time for each track shown as 789:57:13. Is there a known issue here?

2. johnnykrisma

johnnykrisma Junior Member

ok, i have to ask.. Why would you need to do this at all? Couldn't you do any of this is OSX itself?

I'm finding it fascinating to read all these threads about what people are using this app for. I personally just need to see how websites render in IE6, but it really is an education seeing what others are doing.

cheers,
    John

3. rhoffman

rhoffman Bit poster

Benchmarking. iTunes is one of the apps that runs as a Universal Binary in OS X, and also runs under Windows with both Boot Camp and Parallels Workstation, so even though they're different code bases, you're as close as you can get to comparing apples to apples. Also, if you can't play iTunes in Windows under virtualization, or rip/encode tracks from a CD, that may indicate there's some serious problems remaining in the CD/DVD system somewhere.

The point of virtualization is that everything is supposed to work as it does on that same OS running natively, or as close as possible. The closer you can come to that ideal, the better the product is.

4. johnnykrisma

johnnykrisma Junior Member

ok, thanks. Like I said reading these forums is educational. :)