No Go On Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jbhbt7, Mar 24, 2007.

1. jbhbt7

jbhbt7 Bit poster

Trying to install XP Home sp1a on my mac pro. The XP install always hangs part way. What should I try?

New to Parallels, using the trial version.

2. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

does it hang at the same point ? Have you tried creating an image file of the cd and using that rather than the real cd..?

3. jbhbt7

jbhbt7 Bit poster

It usually hangs at the same spot, but has gotten past that point once and still froze. Will try an image.

4. akadmon

akadmon Member

5. jbhbt7

jbhbt7 Bit poster

Was going to reply that creating a disk image did the trick since it went as far as saving settings. But while typing this reply it is stuck at 'saving settings' with 9 minutes to go.

Got a 2.66 mac pro with the cheapie 7300 video card and a fw800 external drive, 2 GB ram purchased with the machine from Apple

While typing this it appears to have completed after restarting the vm. Logging in now. So I'm at a loss to explain the problem. Definitely not ready to purchase until I can get more predictable results.

6. jbhbt7

jbhbt7 Bit poster

Well it boots but is not stable. Frequent reboots. SP2 ehh? Might give it a try. Or go buy a copy of vista.

7. marc.heusser

marc.heusser Junior Member

Windows XP - SP2!

Windows XP SP2 runs as stable as Windows goes. I'd save the money for Vista - get Mac OS X 10.5 (Leopard) instead, much more fun and technically much more advanced :) I expect some really useful stuff in there.

8. stingerman

stingerman Junior Member

I had the same problem with an SP1 Install CD. Downloded an SP2 iso image and that resolved the problem. Thank goodness for bittorrent.

9. jbhbt7

jbhbt7 Bit poster

SP2 it is. Thanks.

10. jbhbt7

jbhbt7 Bit poster

Success

Did another install without a problem. Amazed at how fast Parallels runs XP. Very cool.