Mac shutdown problem

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by AndyG, Mar 25, 2007.

1. AndyG

AndyG Bit poster

Since upgrading to 3188 I have the following problem.
    Whether or not parallels is running, my macbook pro will not run on battery power. If I unplug the powercord while the mac is on it crashes/turns off. It seems that the battery is not being recognised as charged. I have already tried resetting the PMU.
    Has anyone got any ideas-
    Thanks
    Andy

2. Mathew Burrack

Mathew Burrack Junior Member

I'm not sure how that could be related to upgrading to 3188, but have you tried going back to a previous version?

If that doesn't work, you could always try resetting the battery. IIRC, it involves draining it completely, to the point of the machine dying, then recharging completely before turning it back on. Although I guess that'd be hard if it won't stay on to drain the battery...

--mcn

3. fields

fields Bit poster

The MacWindows blog is collecting reports of people whose batteries have died - the common thread seems to be that entering sleep mode while Parallels is running XP may completely fry the battery.

http://www.macwindows.com/parallels.html#040607a

Obviously, this is nothing approaching evidence of an actual correlation, but that's a pretty serious problem if it's true. I'd like to hear from the Parallels folks about this. Has there been any testing of this issue? If this is confirmed to be the cause, what will you do about it?

4. David5000

David5000 Pro

MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo (2.33 GHz, 3 G RAM, 10.49)
    Parallels 3188, WinXP Pro SP2 (Coherence not active)

MBP often sleeps while Parallels is running but no apparent battery problems.

David

5. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

the battery may not be quite in place and not charging
    does the dot on the power cable connector show green?

check the preferences for
    "Energy Saver"

I optimise for better performance when i am at home
    I set a √ Show battery status in menubar
    and it is 96%

have you checked the serial number of your battery against the apple / sony list of recalls

Apple to recall 1.8 million notebook batteries - Aug. 24, 2006
    Slashdot | Dell Issues Laptop Battery Recall

"All you need is your laptop's serial number plus your battery's serial number for the first page. On the second page, your personal information such as the address you want the battery to be shipped to."

google for the pages

Hugh W

6. Olivier

Olivier Forum Maven