Problems to activate USB Dongle

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jkeser, Mar 22, 2007.

1. jkeser

jkeser Bit poster

I try to connect an USB Dongle in Parallels. The Dongle is listed with all the other things on the USB ports. I open the list with the icon in the right edge and choose the USB Dongle. After that the following message will come:
    USB device you are trying to connect to the virtual machine is being used by another application. Close that application or unplug the device and plug it again. Then try to connect the device again.

If I unplug the device and try to connect the USB Dongle again, the same error message will come.

Isn't it possible to disconnect it automatically and connect it to Parallels/Windows XP??
    Yesterday it works without any problems but today I have no chance to use the Dongle in Parallels. I hope there is an solution for that problem because if I can't use my Dongle at any time on Parallels I can't work with it.

Thanks for any help.

Jürgen

2. ksenks

ksenks Parallels Developers

Did you update your parallels software to build 3188?

3. jkeser

jkeser Bit poster

yes, it's all up to date.

4. tom27

tom27 Member

URGENT - Same problem

Hi Parallels-Team,

same problem here. It occured ONLY after updating to the latest Parallels version.
    With previous beta builds, I had no problem activating the device.

The USB key is displayed in the device list but cannot be actived, as Jürgen wrote.

Please note that my Macbook Pro has been updated to 10.4.9 in case this has something to do with it.

Since I urgently need the dongle to continue working, I´d really appreciate your feedback on this.

kind regards
    Tom

5. Mathew Burrack

Mathew Burrack Junior Member

I just updated to 10.4.9 today and I'm experiencing similar symptoms. A USB device (Dell Axim) that I've had no problems in the past connecting to the Mac and then manually activating in Parallels now gives me the same "being used by another application" error. Thing is, when it gives me this error, ActiveSync in the background has already connected to the Axim successfully! So the connection actually works, but because of the error, I can't actually interact with the VM. Further, once I click OK on the error, the connection gets dropped again. This is without anything else running under OS X that could be "using" the Axim, and the only thing that has changed is updating to 10.4.9 (yes, running build 3188 of Parallels). Please help!!

6. Mathew Burrack

Short update: downgrading Parallels to 3186 fixes the problem. Hopefully it doesn't introduce any new ones...

7. tom27

tom27 Member

Thanks Mathew - so downgrading seems an option (hopefully it does not require a reactivation of XP).

Hopefully Parallels are working on fixing this problem since it obviously was introduced by the latest update.

kind regards
    Tom

8. jkeser

jkeser Bit poster

Hi Mathew,

thanks for the tip. What's the best way to downgrad Parallels? Uninstall
    and Reinstall the Build 3186?

What happens then with WinXP? Is it possible to work with it after the
    downgrade?

Parallels TEAM: Isn't it possible to get an update for this problem? Do you
    know something about this problem and do you know when an fix for
    this problem could be available?

Thanks.

Jürgen

9. chemLL1

chemLL1 Bit poster

In the MacOS open Disk Utility and repair permissions. I had similar USB problems with 3188 after the Mac Upgrade to 10.4.9. Repairing permissions fixed the problem.

10. jkeser

jkeser Bit poster

thanks for the tip with the repair permission but that didn't work for me :-(

11. Mathew Burrack

Same here, repair permissions did nothing (not surprising, what permissions could be causing that error?) Oddly enough, I suddenly got the same error again this morning with 3186. My way of resolving it? Shut down Parallels and restart. ?????

--mcn

12. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Yep. Just downgrade by un-installing with the installer you used... Un-install Parallels tools while you are at it if you can get in.

Install the Parallels version you want to use.

13. Mathew Burrack

Actually, I've always been able to downgrade by just using the older installer right over the newer executable. No uninstall necessary. Parallel tools always properly reinstalls and everything.

Note: that's only ever with a Win2k image and a WinXP Boot Camp partition.

--mcn

14. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Right, I have too. Sometimes it doesn't work. It is easiest to tell people to just use the original one though.

15. Manhattan Server

Manhattan Server Bit poster

Same problem here. Recently I tried three of my usb license dongles and they do not work
    under 3188 with 10.4.9. The worked in previous versions of parallels (RC2 & 3 along with 3186. They do appear inusb list and connect and disconnect when attached and disconnected. My software foreach of my dongle applications says that it can not find dongle or dongle is missing. I have tried toggling usb auto connect on and off with no luck.

Please help

16. Manhattan Server

Additional information, I also updated Bootcamp to 1.2 in the last week. Usb dongles
    do not work under Bootcamp either. Sounds like it may not be a Parallels problem.

17. Manhattan Server

Dont know what happened, checked to see if the proxy for my program was loaded
    under services and it was not. Reinstalled program, proxy was running and dongle works.
    I will check the other two later. I also reloaded Sentinel usb driver update.