Graphics problems

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Tim_Leicester_UK, Mar 15, 2007.

1. Tim_Leicester_UK

Tim_Leicester_UK Bit poster

I'm running XP Pro on a MacBook Pro 17" full spec jobbie, via Paralells Desktop. I can't get the graphics card to function properly...

Take this link for example: http://local.live.com/?mkt=en-gb

When I connect via XP Explorer & the 3d mode, I get an error regarding hardware acceleration. I've checked it all out within Windows & all's set correctly, but it just won't work. Is it something to do with 3d acceleration not being compatible with Parallels?

Also, I have some presentation software called EasyWorship that requires DirectX support to run animated slide backgrounds from within XP - this doesn't work either. Is DirectX still unsupported in Parallels?

Help please!

Otherwise very impressed with the software. Runs Windows better than any PC I've ever owned. If I can crack this graphics problem it'll make the joy complete!

Thanks in advance to all who can help...

Tim.

2. abanks

abanks Hunter

Parallels currently does not support 3D or Direct X !!

Wait for Version 3 !!

3. Tim_Leicester_UK

Hi abanks,

Thanks for the info. Do you have any idea how long we have to wait for V3?

All the best,

Tim.

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

If you need 3D and you want Parallels, you can use BootCamp as the HD for Parallels.

5. Tim_Leicester_UK

Hi, thanks for the post.

I'm not too sure what you mean... could you elaborate a bit for me. Don't mean to be thick, but I haven't used BootCamp at all.

Thanks in advance.

Tim.

6. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

No problem... BootCamp is where you boot directly into Windows. I wrote something very short on getting BootCamp up in this thread.

7. Tim_Leicester_UK

Hi Eru, thanks again for the post.

I've read with great interest your other threads. They've been very useful & I really thought I was getting somewhere... however I've still got a problem!

Everything was going swimmingly until I told Parallels to use the BootCamp install. As soon as I booted, it reverted to using the Parallels display drivers & I lost the 3D element I was so pleased to have gained by using BootCamp. I've tried re-installing the Mac drivers from inside Parallels, & also updating the driver/rolling back the driver in Parallels, but still no joy. It insists on using the Parallels driver.

If I 'unlink' the installation & just boot into Windows at startup, the display driver problems goes & I get 3D back. But as soon as I boot via Parallels I lose it again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks again in advance - I'm sure others will find this very useful too judging by the views.

All the best,

Tim.

8. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

when they say use bootcamp, they mean use it *instead of* parallels (meaning rebooting into windows rather than OSX). *Any* installation, using a virtual drive or paralells accessing the bootcamp drive will NOT give you 3d fundtionality.

9. Tim_Leicester_UK

Hi Darkone, thanks for the post.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, you're saying:

-> If you want 3D graphics, boot into Windows at startup (no MacOS availability).
    -> For everything else Windows, boot into MacOS then Parallels (having set the HD to use BootCamp) but you'll lose the 3D aspect. You will, however, still be able to access the exact same Windows installation but without 3D funsctionality. You'll also be able to access the MacOS simultaneously.

Have I understood that right?

Back to my first question then... is there any way of getting 3D in Windows in Parallels?

All the best, Tim.

10. wesley

wesley Pro

You got everything right. :)
    As for your first question, there's a software rendering solution called SwiftShader that'll emulate Direct3D support using CPU, but it doesn't really work that well with Parallels, in my experience. So in the practical sense, the answer is 'not yet'.

11. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Right, when you want 3D, go into BootCamp, when you want to use OS X side-by-side with Windows (without 3D) use Parallels. They both pull the same data. Don't forget, you have to have Parallels 'gracefully' shutdown to use BootCamp.

12. Tim_Leicester_UK

OK guys, thanks very much for all your help. I got there in the end - even if it wasn't what I was hoping for. Hopefully the 3d version of Parallels won't be too long coming.

All the very best to everyone who posted.

Tim.

13. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Glad you got what you needed.

Cheers!