Vista disk compacting not working - 3170 RC3

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ZBoT, Feb 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZBoT

ZBoT Member

I'm probably overlooking something obvious here but when I try and run 'Disk Compacting' from Parallels Tools Center I get this error message:

"Your security privileges cannot allow you to compact volume C:\"

I am logged in as an administrator so I should have the "privileges" to do this. Anyone have any ideas? Has anyone else ran this under Vista?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2007
  2. doggkruse

doggkruse Bit poster

I don't get this error, but the compacting procedure never finishes... it seems to hang

3. ZBoT

ZBoT Member

Thanks for the reply! Anyone else try running disk compactor in Vista?

4. Don Sullivan

Don Sullivan Bit poster

I'm not seeing an error but after leaving it to run overnight (it appeared to hang but was apparently just running really slow with no visible feedback), it didn't do anything. The volume file is still the same size and Windows still says that it's only 50% full.

5. ZBoT

ZBoT Member

Thanks! Just out of curiosity, what version of Vista are you running? I'm running Business.

6. cmayaud

cmayaud Junior Member

I'm having the same problem ... I'm logged in as administrator, am running Vista Enterprise, and when I try to compact the disk, I get the
    "Your security privileges cannot allow you to compact volume C:\" message and it won't le me proceed ...

anyone else?

7. ZBoT

ZBoT Member

I am still having this with the final release 3186 too. I have even tried going to C:\Program Files\Parallels\Parallels Tools\ and right-clicking on ParallelsToolsCenter.exe and selecting 'Run As Administrator' to make sure that it had enough privledges. Still no go though. Has anyone succesfully compacted a Vista install?

BTW: I'm running Vista Business edition that is a member of a domain.

8. cmayaud

cmayaud Junior Member

Compressor works BUT only when started in HOST OS

I still get the same "not enough privileges" message when I try to compress from WITHIN the GUEST OS (in my case VISTA) ...

HOWEVER ... Compressor works BUT only when started in HOST OS (ie from the <ACTIONS> drop down menu in the MAC OS)

9. dpatp

dpatp Member

I get that error, too. Why isn't anyone from Parallels responding to this?

10. dpatp

dpatp Member

11. Archy

Archy Bit poster

Please use Actions -> Run Parallels Compressor.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.