Odd problem with winxp.hdd file

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ajay, Mar 26, 2007.

1. ajay

ajay Hunter

A while back, I inadvertanly deleted my Winxp.hdd file. I have a backup on a backup drive. I dragged the backed up file into my mini. All works well except I've noticed a couple of things which don't seem quite right. In the finder, the Parallels icon is much smaller now than the Winxp.pvs icon. It also has what looks like a shaded piece of paper behind it. I'm assuming that it's showing that file as a backup file? Also, when I click on Parallels, my backup drive lights up for an instant, almost as though the .hdd file is there. Can anyone comment on this and advise what, if anything I should do to right things.

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

What do the properties of the file have to say about it?

3. ajay

ajay Hunter

The properties are nominal. It is a Parallels vm hard disk image and it is located at Users/..../Library/Parallels/winxp. All seems well that way, but I can't help feeling something is different starting with the appearance of the Parallels icon. It is half the size of the .pvs file icon and they were the same previously. That plus the shaded sheep of paper behind the icon and the fact that my backup drive starts up when I click on the icon leads me to believe something has changed. The other day when I went to start Parallels, it showed the vm with a Winxp Professional 1 designation. I caught that and looked at the hdd location. It showed it as being my backup drive/file. I changed it back to the mini and that hasn't happened again. That's why I call this whole thing "odd". What do you think?

4. kosh

kosh Member

Ajay,

What you're describing sounds like the correct icon for a Parallels .hdd file. It's a small version of the Parallels logo superimposed on the lower right corner of a stylized hard drive image in steel / grey (showing five screws - one corner is covered by the Parallels logo in hte corner). The image in the "Preview" pane of the Get Info window for the file shows it in a much bigger format. Is that what you're seeing?

5. ajay

ajay Hunter

By golly, you're right kosh. It is exactly as you described. I never thought it was supposed to appear like that. Thanks for your input and insight.

6. gegervision

gegervision Hunter

What you're seeing is the live view of your Guest Machine. You can change that option within Preferences.

7. ajay

ajay Hunter

Thanks for that information. Now, for my next problem which just happened again this morning. When I clicked on my Parllels icon, Parallels began to load from my backup drive. I heard the drive start up and when the Parallels vm appeared it showed my guest OS with a "1" after it. I changed the path to the Mac and all was well, but what causes this to happen? It is perplexing and frustrating because if I don't catch it and I open Quicken in Windows, I am working with an older data file. That's not a fun thing to fix after the fact. Any thoughts or ideas short of disconnecting the backup drive or temporarily renaming the backup file?

8. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Hmm... I had this issue before... Now I need to try and remember what I did, other than just disconnecting the Back-up drive....

What I did was create an alias to my .pvs file and put that in the dock and I just launch from there.