Vote here - should I or shouldn't I install 3188?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Los Angeles, Mar 25, 2007.

1. Los Angeles

Los Angeles Bit poster

I've been running 3120 with little difficulty. I really love it.

Normally when a program auto-downloads an update, I dive right in.

In this case however, I've got a lot of extremely important work to do over the next month using Office 2007 applications and time loss will not be tolerated. I really want my windows virtual machine to be as close to 100% as possible.

Please vote, but please also give explaination about your choice.

What problems am I likely to run into? What should I look out for? What steps do I need to take to get it right "the first time".

Thanks in advance to all responses.

2. Los Angeles

Los Angeles Bit poster

That's odd - I went through the hoops but my poll didn't post.

Anyway, I'm interested in hearing thoughts.

3. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

3120 is only a beta. 3188 is the official release of version 2.5.

It would be dumb to not to update to 3188. Official releases are Parallels' responsibility if something goes wrong, betas are not.

4. upsman92

upsman92 Bit poster

3188 for me shuts down every 2 hours or less so i would stay with anything that works. Official or not they dont respond to e-mails so how could they "be responsible"

5. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

3188 works fine for me.

6. Tyland1200

Tyland1200 Parallels Team

3120, 3150, and 3170 are all betas and cannot be supported Parallels as they are in a test environment. 3186 is the best build yet as 3188 is only 2 upgrades which are Vista related.
    I'd stick with 3186 is you use WIN XP. 3188 is good but has issues with tools installing, thus the black screen issue.

I'm sticking with 3186 till the 3188 issues are fixed in a later relaease.

Tyland1200

7. dotcomjunkie

dotcomjunkie Member

Get the work done.

My vote is this: If you have important work to do - I wouldn't tempt fate. Stick with what is working for you. Unless there is some feature that is in 3188, but not in your current version then focus on the work.

8. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

I just moved our office to 3188 from 3120... It worked great! Just back everything up... Also consider grabbing ahold of an installer for 3186 and your old beta in case you run into issues... Don't use the Upgrade feature coming from a beta... Back-up, un-install old Beta with beta un-installer, restart, install new stable version.

It is silly to run Betas unless you need to.

9. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

What problem are you trying to solve? If you don't provide a problem statement any solution is meaningless.

10. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro

Exactly. Especially if you need to do important work on Parallels.

11. leoofborg

leoofborg Junior Member

3188 is working okay with me... however. DO NOT INSTALL Kaspersky... Most of my speed problems disappeared once I deinstalled this.

I run Clamwin and Windows Defender. But Kaspersky? Bad medicine on Parallels.

12. James Bond 007

James Bond 007 Hunter

Not to answer your questions, but if you have been running 3120 fine and do not want any mess up, then you can wait until after next month to upgrade.

I upgraded from 1970 to 3186 and then to 3188, and I have 2 Windows 2000 and 2 Windows XP VMs, all work fine. No Boot Camp.

[​IMG]

13. dizzydeane

dizzydeane Member

I would!

I was scared of Beta 3188, too. But it clearly fixed some bugs like the iSight & USB problems Everything seems to run better. FWIW I THINK: (a) It's also Parallels v2.x -- the one they're selling. (b) As I recall <sigh>, to upgrade it is CRITICAL to STOP Parallels (it can not be open), then after upgrading to REBOOT both Parallels & YOUR MAC. I forget who on this forum told me, but it worked for me.

I hope this helps.