Disk Size...

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jvolk, Mar 26, 2007.

1. jvolk

jvolk Junior Member

I am running build 3094. I have a problem with free disk space.
    Selecting all files and gettting properties Windows shows 5.87GB used with 6.01GB size on disk.

However, Window (whcn checking size of the C Drive) reports that 13 GB have been used??????

The volume is formatted FAT32.
    I expect there might be some difference, but not 6GB worth of difference.
    I've freed up disk space, checked temp files, etc.
    Nothing accounts for this anomaly.... (and of course, I'm ALWAYS running out of disk space)... Yes, the recycle bin IS empty <g>.

Windows Reports the total size of disk as 13.6GB with 738MB free.

thanks for any help on this...

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Are you sure that the 5.87GB is used and the 6.01GB is total size... It almost sounds like one is used and the other is empty... Almost, but not quite.

There is an instruction on increasing the size of the partition... Try running the command on your disk... I forget it off the top of my head, I try to avoid working with Windows as much as possible.

3. jvolk

jvolk Junior Member

Yep, I'm sure that I have a 13GB disk and that Windows is reporting (when selecting all files and folders that there's only 6GB used). Thanks for trying.

4. jvolk

jvolk Junior Member

[​IMG]

As you can see the utility iFindSpace agrees with my calculations and finds ~6Gb used, while windows thinks 12+Gb has been used.

Very odd indeed.

5. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

This sounds like a headache... Have you tried any utilities to force Windows to re-check used space on the drive? How about defragmenting?

6. jvolk

jvolk Junior Member

Any other thoughts? I converted the FAT .hdd to NTFS ... same issue

7. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

are you using an Expanding disk ? (you will have selected this when setting up the parallels config for your VM)

I *think* its becuase you are using an expanding disk option. So Parallels reports to windows that your disk is 13GB, but the free space shows only 700mb as the expanding disk isnt really 13GB as it only expands when needed.

You can check by looking at the size of the hdd file in Finder, or by doing ls -lah in a terminal window.

Of course, this could be total balls.. I'm just taking a stab at it.

8. jvolk

jvolk Junior Member

Nope, it shows up in OSX as a 13.6Gb file. So I don't think it's expandable. And in Windows it shows that 700MB is free. But, showing ALL FILES (hidden, system, etc.) and selecting them all and doing properties it appears only 7GB is acually used.

I ran defragmenter too, that appeared to show a nearly full disk as well... This just doesn't make sense. It's like there are files that are there that can't be seen (that aren't hidden or system files either) that Windows doesn't see when checking properties that ARE really there. If I could get to them, I'd delete them (as they're not in use or system files)

J

9. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Hmm... I forget, but does Windows check double-slash directories (e.g. C:/yuck//bleh), when it checks the size?

10. Farrell

Farrell Bit poster

Same Problem with Low Disk Space Message

I'm getting a similar message -- after increasing my partition size.

As I'm working with audio files that expand greatly as I edit them, this is a real bummer.

Any way to get Windows to recognize the actual size of the drive?