Internet Connection with XP and Parallels

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by brianneal, Feb 3, 2007.

1. brianneal

brianneal Bit poster

I have loaded the Parallels Desktop for MAC on my IMAC Intel machine and Windows XP is working fine.

However, I cannot seem to get the internet connection to work. It works fine on the MAC but in XP environment I have the warning icon that the LAN has limited or no connectivity with lots of sends but no receive packets.

My setting in Parallels is as follows;

Bridged Ethernet, Default Adapter with checks for enabled and connect cable at startup. The Host Only and Shared Networking are both grey ( no option to choose). The advanced section has Realtek 8029AS with MAC address 002rF058BA73.

I am usually very good with Windows products but am lost as to how to fix this problem. When I e-mail Parallels they never respond and I even prepaid for phone support on Wednesday and have yet to hear from them. PLEASE HELP. I am a longtime listener of Leo Laporte and he swears by how great this product is yet...... I have yet to get the internet working to load my quickbooks and It still remains for me to get my USB Epson CX 4200 printer working!!!

Thanks for any help out there!!!!

Brian

2. constant

constant Forum Maven

Who's Leo Laporte?

3. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

Which release of Parallels are you on? Are you on 1970?

4. constant

constant Forum Maven

Parallels wasn't even around in 1970.

He would have to be on release 2006 or 2007.

Silly.

5. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

Try looking at this thread, and many others like it.

Evidently, Parallels installs some new network adapters , (EN2 and EN3?). And you must go into OSX and enable them. You may have to reboot both OSX and Parallels.

By the way, you can find the answers to most of your questions in the Parallels for Mac Technical Forum. The link above will take you there.

Finally, if you like Leo Laporte, check out the MacBreak podcast, available free at the iTunes store. You can watch Leo discuss Macs in short video segments.

6. Quigs

Quigs Bit poster

Brian
    I have just had the same problem. I spoke to Technical Services today and they told me to look in the Parallels desktop menu and then look in "About Parallels' to see what build I had installed. They told me to check for updates in the help menu, build 31.86 was downloaded. I installed that, opened Parallels and then went to the configuration window and selected "network adaptor' and then 'shared networking'. When I opened the virtual machine Windows opened and Internet explorer was connected.

7. asana

asana Bit poster

If you have not got it to work, please see my How To post today about Internet-sharing an ISDN terminal connected via USB with the VM Wondows XP.
    Hope it wil lwork.
    asana

8. morespace54

morespace54 Bit poster

Help. Reverse Problem...

Hello,

I've just installed Parallels (3188) ans XP Pro (SP2) on my iMac CoreDuo. Everything was fine until I found I couldn't access my Internet connection within int guest OS. I just switch it to "Bridges Networking" and all of a sudden, it was working great! But now, I just can't access to the Internet with my iMac (even if Parallels is shut down).

It's actually the reverse problem mentioned here. I can only access Internet whithin the guest OS (in "bridged" mode, "Default" selected).

I know that Parallels installed a "Host-Guest" and "Network" entry (en2, en3) and even after uninstalling the software... That (I think) is what is messing with my internet connection. Those ports uses completly different IP address (10.30.x.x instead of 192.x.x.x leased by my router)

Please help!!! (a use a dlink router to get to the Internet. Every other computers in my home work fine with the Internet still) Anybody figured out how to solve this?

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  9. asana

asana Bit poster

Check your settings on the Mac side please:

MAC —> System Preferences —> Network —> Show: Network Port Configurations: Check-mark your
    USB Terminal/modem driver or in your case however you connect, apparently with Ethernet and a router.
    Then:
    MAC —> System Preferences —> Sharing —> Internet
    Turn Internet Sharing Off to make changes
    Share your connection from: Parallels NAT to computers using:
    Built-in Ethernet
    Start Internet Sharing

[The Ethernet Adaptor (en3) interferes with Parallels Shared Networking and must be turned off. To do this open System Preferences -> Sharing -> Internet, stop Internet Sharing and uncheck Ethernet Adaptor (en3) in To computers using list. Start Internet sharing again and check that setting are as described before.]

Please also see my complete post at: http://forum.parallels.com/thread9570.html

I find that I have to watch my settings on the Mac side more than anything else to get connection. For instance, if I want to share my Internet connection wirelessly with other computers, I have to change the settings back to Airport AND often must make a restart -- but not always.
    Let us know what you come up with.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007