Fatal Error in Virtual Machine Monitor

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by aanastasi, Mar 26, 2007.

1. aanastasi

aanastasi Bit poster

Anyone else get this message when trying to install software on Windows? I have a Macbook and am running windows 2000 pro on it through parallels....trying to install Act! on Windows and it crashes every time.....can anyone advise?

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Does it output any error? What is your configuration (i.e. Build #, O.S. Version, Hardware set-up)?
    Do you have a BootCamp partition?

3. uesjd

uesjd Bit poster

I get that error - but not when installing software. I get it when I boot Windows XP in Parallels, about 50% of the time.

I allow it to send an error log to Parallels but to no avail. This has been going on for several builds. I've emailed them, too, but no response. Perhaps some future release will fix it. Perhaps not.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  4. dtidmore

dtidmore Member

I started getting this error with the latest version of ZoneAlarm whenever I tried to switch into Coherence. Dropping back to the previous release of ZA proved successful in preventing the fatal error in the VM monitor. As I see a few more people beginning to have issues resulting in a fatal error in the VM monitor, I feel that Parallels has a more generic problem rather than an isolated situation dealing with a specific third party app.

I also have sent the Parallels team full description and memory dumps and no response.

David:(

5. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Are all three of you running ZoneAlarm by any chance? This program seems to cause a lot of issues...

dtidmore, what happens if you un-install ZoneAlarm?

6. dtidmore

dtidmore Member

I have NO problems with ZA 6.5.737 (ie the immediate predecessor to the current release of 7.0.337, in fact, I reverted to 6.5.737 as my workaround for the timebeing. The problem occurs with version 7 regardless of whether ZA is running or shutdown. Version 7 works fine in full screen or OS window mode but when I try to switch to Coherence mode it crashes XP and Parallels (ie reporting fatal error in VM monitor).

david

7. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Have you tried giving Parallels your crash logs?

If not, I would recommend that you report this to Parallels, make reference to your posting here and upload your logs. Hopefully they can take a look at this and figure out what causes the crashes...

If you want to do some testing, try un-installing Parallels tools and then update ZA and see what happens...

8. dtidmore

dtidmore Member

I did send the Parallels team the log file along with a detailed explanation of what I did. No response

I will try the uninstall of Parallel tools then the upgrade to latest ZA and if that works, then an reinstall of Parallel tools. I have not tried that particular sequence.

David

9. dtidmore

dtidmore Member

Tried the uninstall of Parallels Tools, then an upgrade to ZA 7.0.337, then a reinstall of Parallels Tools, then a reboot, then tried a switch to Coherence. CRASH!. This is definately a conflict with the latest ZA dlls and Parallels. Back I go to ZA 6.5.737

david:(

10. aanastasi

aanastasi Bit poster

I've tried sending the report to parellels but they havent responded. Not sure which direction to go in at this point , i may cough up the $30 and call their helpdesk.

11. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

It sure sounds like a conflict... Upload your crash logs and then wait a day... I've gotten my response in under 5 minutes...

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  12. mcquiggi

mcquiggi Bit poster

I do. I cannot run any setup.exe applications that I have tried. I have reported this problem and Parallels tech support say they are working on it.

I have also found that in Win NT, trying to bring up a command prompt via Start/Run dialog, and entering "command" into the dialog box, causes the same VM crash.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Kevin

13. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

ZonaAlarm 7 is not compatible with Coherence mode due ZA 7 bug. Please use ZoneAlarm 6.

14. dtidmore

dtidmore Member

Please elaborate a bit

Alexg,
    You state that the problem we are encountering with ZA7 is a BUG in ZA7. As ZA 7 works PERFECTLY in Full Screen and OS Window mode under Parallels (& non-virtual Windows) and it is Coherence that CRASHES, what is ZA 7 doing that is in conflict with Coherence? This NEEDS to be fixed and telling Zone Labs that another software vendor claims ZA has a bug will not carry much weight. We need to know details.

David

15. psyfil

psyfil Member

Repeated Fatal Errors=Frustration

I have reported the same problem to PARALLELS at least a dozen times complete with the automated crash report, personal messages to Tim Surgent and to Ben Rudolph. I have never received a reply or any help. I keep an old Windows laptop around to run the programs I can't install in Parallels and keep thinking seriously of switching to just running a Boot Camp partition or hoping that, as rumored, in Leopard switching between operating systems will be a simple matter of switching User names. If I didn't have so much time invested in getting PARALLELS mostlty wortking, I'd be out of it asap.

PhilK:mad:

16. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Have you tried seeing what happens when you install them in the BootCamp partition?

17. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

David, I don't think he said the bug was with ZA 7. It is left ambiguous, it looks like English is not his native language.

What I would like to know is whether or not the problem is being addressed...