cant finish transporter install

Discussion in 'Parallels Transporter' started by kindkind, Mar 24, 2007.

1. kindkind

kindkind Bit poster

Hey everyone.
    I have boot camp on a macbook running osx and xp sp2.

I am using 2.5.3188 which is the newest version, and i downloaded the transporter and agent off of the site here version 2.0.1080. so im assuming its up to date as well.

I choose to install both the transporter and the agent software of course and it asks to reboot, so i do and xp comes back and transporter opens up. I tell it to get it from this computer(locally) so it starts to gather info about this computer. Then it always crashes. it never even gets past the getting info part. I have uninstalled and reinstalled. i have redownloaded and reinstalled also.

i dont know what else to do. I am wondering if i need more disk space on the partition for xp or what, as i have only 3.4 gb left. should i have as much open space as there is used space?

thanks people, really.

2. Victor

Victor Member

Dont you just need the agent? Thats all Ive installed and am currently transferring my XP laptop image to my Mac Pro.

3. kindkind

kindkind Bit poster

hey man. i am transporting locally so i think i must install both.

i tried just installing the agent but wasnt able to do anything with just the agent.

does it make a copy of the drive, thus needing an hdd at most half full? And would it crash where i am describing if the drive did not have enough space? I have an external drive i could hook up but im not sure how this will really help

4. Victor

Victor Member

Ok I missed the boot camp bit. Sorry.

I would assume, that you start the boot camp in parallels, install just the agent, then on the MAC you start the transporter program (same folder as parallels.) If Im right, in the mac program you will get a list of system, in your case the book camp system, that transporter can image.

As for the free disk required, it depends on how full your original disk is. My 40GB Laptop disk needs 28GB.

Thats all I can suggest.

I just transfered my laptop HD over to a parallels install using transporter and it worked well. I had to manually remove a few laptop utilities, such as track-pad and WLAN stuff, but now its working like a charm. I needed to do this as I have lost my office key. I have a second key, but it doesnt work with my install disk (one was OEM, the other a site licence). After the transfer Office etc is working fine on the new Parallels install.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  5. kindkind

kindkind Bit poster

From the siteL

Migrate Windows PC locally or to any removable media

* Step 1: Install both Transporter and Transporter Agent on the Windows PC you would like to migrate
    * Step 2: Run Transporter on that Windows PC
    * Step 3: Follow the simple wizard to complete the migration process
    * Step 4: Deliver the resulting virtual machine to Mac/PC using any removable media

But i am not able to run the transporter. i am not even able to start making the image.
    it crashes when i am "getting information about this computer"

thanks for you help!

6. kindkind

kindkind Bit poster

why does this software always crash!!! i cant get around it! DO YOU HAVE TO HAVE AS MUCH FREE SPACE AS USED SPACE???

7. Victor

Victor Member

KinderKinder,

Of course.

Id you try what I suggested? If you did then did you point Parallels to the external drive to save your image from Preferences General ?

If not, then I cant help you more.

8. kindkind

kindkind Bit poster

hey victor
    thanks for the helps.... i dont get to the part where it asks me anythng about where to save. i am running it locally and it is just a wizard that asks if you want to migrate from this computer, from another computer or from a virtual computer. I am under the impression that since i am using the same comp as the source and host via bootcamp that i have to select from this computer...
    this is the process to make a virtual machine so i cant select that option...

so after i tell it from this computer it crashes. there are no prefs anywhere in the xp transporter. maybe it will tell me to select a destination if it can actually gather the info but it cant gather the info without crashing.

you said to "boot to parallels" how do i do that?

9. kindkind

kindkind Bit poster

parallels "support"

Id like to say here that i emailed parallels support for their assistance with my install. I emailed them on sunday night. I have heard nothing back from them. They state that they will reply within 3 business days.

This software does not function. Migrating locally with the transporter and transporter agent on source winxp bootcamp has proven impossible to even begin. I followed the directions on their site

Migrate Windows PC locally or to any removable media

* Step 1: Install both Transporter and Transporter Agent on the Windows PC you would like to migrate
    * Step 2: Run Transporter on that Windows PC
    * Step 3: Follow the simple wizard to complete the migration process
    * Step 4: Deliver the resulting virtual machine to Mac/PC using any removable media

IT DOESNT WORK. PERIOD

transporter 1080 is DOA

Just a warning to any of you who may want to transport your existing locall winxp - you'll be lucky to get any service from them at all. I have not.

10. Helen@Parallels

Helen@Parallels Parallels Developers

Hello Kindkind,

Design of Parallels Tranporter (Agent) isn't meant to migrate from Boot Camp. Although Parallels Transporter Agent can be sucessfully installed on Boot Camp partition with Windows XP, migration from this partition cannot be performed successfully.

But Parallels Desktop for Mac allows use the existing Boot Camp Windows XP partition instead of virtual hard disk. For that you should check the "Use Boot Camp" option in Hard Disk Options of Configuration Editor.

Best Regards,
    Helen

11. kindkind

kindkind Bit poster

Hi Helen, thanks for the reply.
    I am assuming that the configuration editor is a program on the osx portion of the install? i dont remember seeing that option but i am going to scour it now that i have heard something back.
    thanks, ill check it out,
    any more information would be helpful
    thanks
    chris

12. BenFischer

BenFischer Bit poster

Transporter

Transporter also does not work here either. I've tried running it from my Mac with the client on the PC and it will fail. I've tried running it on the PC to create an image and that fails as well.

I read in another thread about a product by Laplink, and might try it if Transporter continues to be a problem.

This doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence in Parallels.

13. BenFischer

BenFischer Bit poster

That was a bad first impression. I skipped the Transporter and created a virtual machine from scratch and so far Parallels is working as advertised.