Copy and Paste

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by davidenglish, Mar 28, 2007.

1. davidenglish

davidenglish Junior Member

Hello Parallels Forum.

I have a user who is trying to make the switch to mac as painful as possible for me. She refuses to use her mac and is using Parallels for everything. I honestly have no idea whey she even has a mac.

Anyways, she is running windows xp and office 2000. I have kept her on 3106 beta 3 version for stability and read / write issues with her mac.

On the mac side, 10.4.8 and Office 2004.

She has a word document opened on the windows side and then a different word document opened on the mac side. She can not select text from the mac side, copy and then paste it into the windows side. She claims this worked yesterday but today, it doesn't.

I am running 3188 on my mac and I can not copy and paste from word to word. I can however cut and paste.

Is this the correct way it is suppose to work?

2. davidenglish

1 more test here. I went into textedit for the mac, typed up a some random text, copied and pasted into word on the windows side.

Maybe it is a version conflict with Word?

3. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

If that is the issue it sounds like a Word conflict...

If you want to get things stablized much better, get her on BootCamp. Have you tried copying and pasting from the menus to make sure that Apple + C is not bound to another command in Word?

4. davidenglish

Yes, we are trying through the menu, not shortcuts.

My guess is that it is a word issue too.

5. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Re-install?

Have you tried un-installing and re-installing word? (Back-up your templates first and preference files)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  6. davidenglish

No, haven't tried that. But testing on other macs gives us the same results. Just doesn't work.

7. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Strange. Does it show up in the Parallels Tools Center copy board?

8. Archy

Archy Bit poster

Hello David,

I want to understand the situation. I can't reproduce your issue. So, I need more information. Please answer my questions:
    1. What version of Windows do you use? XP, SP0, SP1, SP2?
    2. What build of Office 2000 do you use? Does it have service packs?
    3. What build of Office 2004 for Mac do you use? Any updates installed?
    4. Do you have third-party programs in VM?
    5. Is text you want to copy&past bigger than 128 Kbytes?
    6. If you can please try to copy&past with Office 2003 in VM
    7. Eru Ithildur has asked right thing: after copying text on Mac side:
    - go to VM,
    - open Parallels Tools Center,
    - and see: Clipboard Synchronization Tool status: enabled/disabled,
    - and finally: do you see in "current clipboard content" you text?

Thank you.

9. davidenglish

Thanks Eru for the info on the tools center. Most of the time, the data is showing up there. More than likely, the user's windows has crashed and the tools did not recover. Rebooting her windows did seem to fix the problem. On my own mac, I was able to copy and paste almost all the time, verifing through the tools center that I had the correct data. This was a critical step and I am very grateful. Thank you. 8)

Archy, everything seems to be operating correctly. But none the less, currently we are running windows xp SP2, fully updated from windows updates. Office 2000, sp3 fully updated. Mac side is 10.4.8 and 10.4.9, Office 2004 11.3.

Is there a way to relaunch the parallel tools if windows crashes, other than rebooting?

10. Archy

Archy Bit poster

David,

Glad that everything worked out..

You can restart Parallels Tools Center by launching the following file:
    C:\Program Files\Parallels\Parallels Tools\ParallelsToolsCenter.exe

P.S. Don't forget to upgrade your Tools to new version if you haven't done it yet.

P.P.S. If Parallels Tools are crashed you need to reinstall it. The best way:
    1. Uninstall Parallels Tools using standard Windows "Add/Remove programs" menu.
    2. Restart VM.
    3. Actions -> Install Parallels Tools.
    4. Restart VM.

Thank you.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  11. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

David,
    I hope you get everything working... I guess now that Archy is in, I'll be stepping out.

12. Archy

Archy Bit poster

Assistance request:

David, if you ever will have Parallels Tools Center crashed please communicate with me.
    We must liquidate PTC crashes.

Thank you

13. swaltner

swaltner Bit poster

I've noticed a problem several times where I can't copy from Windows XP running in Parallels (build 3186) to the Mac. Usually I'm trying to copy a URL from IE in Windows to the Mac. The fix is to reboot Windows. :-(

I do know when this is happening that the text doesn't show up in the clipboard in Parallels Tools Center.

I rebooted too quickly to check if I can copy/paste inside Windows when this is happening or if it's just a problem getting text in/out of my Parallels VM.

Steve

14. Archy

Archy Bit poster

Hello Steve,

I know this issue. This is an accidental bug. I know the simpliest method to solve this problem. You should copy/paste this URL again without restarting Windows. If problem isn't solved provide me some info:

1. What version of Windows do you use? XP, SP0, SP1, SP2?
    2. What version of IE do you use?
    3. Do you have third-party programs in VM?
    4. Maybe keyboard issue?

Thank you.