USB printer problems!!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by parallels support, Mar 24, 2007.

1. wiwa

wiwa Bit poster

Canon Pixma MP810: Problem solved!

After a new installation of XP, I clicked into the USB connected devices and activated the printer, the system "found" new hardware, started to install drivers (I allready installed the drivers before) and now: everything (printer and scanner just works perfectly! Now I really like this software and will buy it, because I can now connect my not Mac compatible devices like Suunto Watches, SonyEricsson Phones, and some more. Just beautiful!

2. Tyland1200

Tyland1200 Parallels Team

Brother MFC9700 Multi function, MACBook Pro

3. Tyland1200

Tyland1200 Parallels Team

Brother MFC9700 Multi function, MACBook Pro

4. STim

STim Bit poster

OMG! This gives me a crazy idea to suggest to everyone in this thread having problems with their printers. Crazy, but rather safe, and it could do the trick...

0. Make sure NO USB device is connected to Parallels Desktop to the moment. Also make sure you have closed all applications actually running in Windows and saved all your data.
    1. Go to Start->Control Panel->Performance and Maintenance->System
    2. Select "Hardware" Tab and click "Device Manager".
    3. Double-click "Universal Serial Bus controllers" to expand the group.
    4. Now, for each device in this group, right-click it, and select Uninstall in the pop-up menu. Click "OK" when the warning appears. You will end up having all the group disappeared.
    5. Reboot Windows.
    6. When rebooted, wait for some time. Windows will find some devices. Let it install them.
    7. Now, re-check your printer to see if it works now. Please report your findings here.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  5. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

Tim,

It still doesn't work. The symptom is a little different this time. Before, document would appear to have been printed (gone from print queue) but nothing ever came out of the printer. Now, after following your instruction, document will just stay in the queue but never got printed.

Epson Stylus Photo R800
    iMac 20" core duo, 2G RAM, OS/X 10.4.9
    Windows XP Pro VM points to Boot Camp partition

6. parallels support

parallels support Member

sidssp,
    Before sending a print job to the printer, are you making sure that Windows is controlling the printer and not the Mac? In other words, after starting the VM, plug the printer in to the Mac and click on the Devices menu up top, then hover the mouse over USB. This list of USB devices is what the Mac currently recognizes. You should see your printer in the list. If the items in the list are unchecked, Mac has control of them. If an item is checked, then Windows has control. Click on the printer if it doesn't have a check mark. That should toggle it over to the Windows side. Windows should now recognize it.

7. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

Yes, that's what I did to have the printer connected.

8. DoYoga

DoYoga Bit poster

HP Laserjet 2420d and HP Color LaserJet 3600n. I'm running a Mac Pro with the latest Tiger.

The printers are detected and installed, with autodetect on. But any attempt to print immediately produces an 'error' message in the printer cue and nothing is printed

9. DoYoga

DoYoga Bit poster

Some additional info:

HP Laserjet 2420d and HP Color Laserjet 3600n, connected directly to Mac Pro running Windows Vista, not via a hub. When attempting to print, the printer is checked in the USB drop-down, so Windows is in charge. The printers do on occasion show that the data has been received, but nothing is printed; when I press the 'checkmark' button on the printer, a page comes out -- on the 3600n the page reads that incomplete data has been received.

10. coachbrett

coachbrett Bit poster

I am attempting to connect a Sony Handycam, DCR-HC96 and no luck. When I attempt to select the USB driver, I receive

USB device you are trying to connect to the virtual machine is being used by another process. Wait 5-10 seconds, then try to connect the device again. If this does not help, find the application that blocked up the device and disconnect it manually.

11. jonst

jonst Bit poster

I had some problem with my printer but I found a great solution in a tech support website. they have large range of printers and live tech support.

Here is the page for Printers support

I hope that helps

Jon

12. tsawicki

tsawicki Bit poster

Tim - thank goodness for this thread...

I run Epson C60 (generic color ink jet), Epson Multifunction RX580 and HP Multifunction C3180 in a windows networked environment where the printers are connected to the network via Netgear's print server device - the PS121v2 (link. The Netgear print server shows up in Boot Camp and the monitoring software shows up in the Parallels VM but can't see any of the print server devices on the network. Might be a bit more complicated then directly connected printer support but networked printers are a part of the world...

13. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

Are you using shared network for your Windows VM? Try change it to bridge network and see if that works.

14. tsawicki

tsawicki Bit poster

ssdsip - you are my hero! Bridge networking worked like a champ. So Tim & Co. at parallels - everythings working now.

15. taxman

taxman Bit poster

USB printing

Xerox 6120 using MacBook Pro

16. mraub1

mraub1 Junior Member

HP DesignJet 130 on an iMac 24" Core 2 Duo; 2 GB RAM running build 3188. Print manager shows the job there but it never gets spooled to the printer. Printer works fine in Bootcamp.

17. Beaver41

Beaver41 Bit poster

I had the same problem. Purplish told me "Did you go into OSX System Preferences/Sharing and put a checkmark next to printers?" and now my iP3000 is working on my MacBook Pro 15.4.