Ubuntu beta won't boot

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by mike3k, Mar 25, 2007.

1. mike3k

mike3k Member

The new Ubuntu 7.04 "Feisty Fawn" beta CD image won't boot at all in Parallels. It freezes on a black screen after I hit enter at the boot prompt. It boots OK and installs successfully in VMWare Fusion, however.

I've always noticed a difference in the way Linux boots in Parallels vs. VMWare. Under Parallels I get the text mode boot screen. In VMWare, as it does on a real machine, it boots with the usplash graphic image and progress bar. Part of the Linux project I'm working on involves customizing the boot splash image, so I can't test it at all in Parallels.

2. epkphoto

epkphoto Junior Member

I also found this issue shortly after Feisty beta came out. It is an issue with a CD virtualization change made by Parallels that the current infestation of the linux kernel in Ubuntu does not handle properly. The issue actually appeared in Feisty Herd 5 with the newer kernel versions. Additionally, the issue happens with the latest kernels in the Fedora 7 test releases.

If you want to help get this fixed, check out my bug report here: https://launchpad.net/bugs/95830

3. epkphoto

epkphoto Junior Member