Parallels Tools for Linux

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by vilmoskörte, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Hugh Watkins

Hugh Watkins Forum Maven

is it a question of which flavour of linux?

I was at a Sun meeting in London yesterday and learned that Solaris is now downloadable and open source

I certainly would prefer to us a Solaris Parallels sandbox to experiment with unix rather than the Mac OS where I could mess up the whole machine if I got it wrong

Hugh W

2. TurboXT

TurboXT Bit poster

i would just like fullscreen for Linux.

3. pogi

pogi Member

"me too"

Dear Parallels Team,

I love you and support everything that you are doing. Keep up the good work. In the mean time, I would also like to include myself in the "me too" category for Parallels Tools for Linux. I love windows coherence mode and I've been using Parallels since the beginning, but I am sadly using VMWare for Linux. I would rather stay with you and support your wonderful product so I look forward to a Parallels Tools for Linux! Thank you for the hard work.

:D

4. DougO

DougO Junior Member

Parallels Tools for Linux needs to be added, especially shared folders, better time synchronization, and video drivers.

5. chrisj303

chrisj303 Member

I got sick of waiting for the Tools, so i ditched parallels, setup a triple boot on my macbook - OSX/UBUNTU/XP , then installed VMware Fusion beta (osx) so i can test out different distro's with proper resolution. Also as a result of the fusion tools i don't have to click in and out of the VM to focus the cursor. TBH, a MUCH better solution. It's quite obvious that parallels only really care about getting windows to boot on a mac.

I will move back to parallels once (if?) they ever listen to their customers and get this sorted.As i would prefer to support the underdog.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  6. Andrew @ Parallels

Andrew @ Parallels Parallels Team

Guys,

We are working on Parallels Tools for Linux and it will be available in upcoming versions.

7. iflexia

iflexia Bit poster

Parallels Tools for Linux now available

I just found this thread with Andrew's reply and checked my Parallels (v3.0) - and true to Andrew's word, it does indeed include Parallels Tools for Linux. You can now move your mouse cursor freely in and out of a Linux guest VM window! :)

Thanks Parallels team! :cool:

Matt

8. iflexia

iflexia Bit poster

By the way, you might want to update your FAQ:

http://www.parallels.com/en/support/fullfaq/

9. Sculler

Sculler Junior Member

Parallel tools for linux in Ubuntu 7.04

I just completed installing parallel tool in my Ubuntu 7.04 VM. I had to play around a bit, to get it to install. The key thing was to copy the install script from the virtual Cd to my desktop. The CD mounted read only and this caused problems. The system reported that /bin/sh was read only. Since this is the shell program, I wasn't going to fool with it.

In any event entering the command sudo bash and then running the program parallels-tools.run located on the desktop completed the install.

Once installed, I have been able move the mouse in and out of the vm with out a problem, resize the linux window and run linux full screen. Very nice.

10. pcraddock

pcraddock Member

Coherence for Linux

I would love to see Coherence for Linux!

11. jsallee

jsallee Bit poster

how about 3D?

How about gaining OpenGL support with Linux tools and maybe (crosses fingers) XComposite as well?

12. GreatDrok

GreatDrok Bit poster

Running CentOS 5 in parallels 3.0 on my MBP with parallels tools and it is great! Of course, Coherence and 3D support are not really needed since you can always ssh -Y into your guest machine and run the programs from the command line with full integration into the OS X desktop and 3D acceleration which beats Windows and Coherence due to the wonders of X11. Example of glxgears running on Linux displayed on xserver gets 2000+ frames per second which is not too far off the 3000 or so running it directly on OS X gets.