Internet Connection In Parallels

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by C_Cooper, Mar 27, 2007.

1. C_Cooper

C_Cooper Bit poster

Okay well...I've read a few things on Parallels and on Apple's support site. Not that I can't find what I'm looking for...I'd just rather not look for it for thirty-four days. Here's what's going on:
    •I'm on the internet right now...leaving this lovely thread
    •Apple : Internet works like it's supposed to
    •Launch Windows XP Pro via Parallels
    •Launch Internet Exploder
    •THE PAGE CANNOT BE DISPLAYED
    •I've tried a few different settings and even mimiced my Windows based machine downstairs and can't get anything.

Any help would be awesome. Thanks

Chris Cooper
    C_Cooper@alltel.net

2. gegervision

gegervision Hunter

What build of Parallels are you running? You need to make sure you are either running Bridged Networking or Shared but that is determined by your build.

3. Archy

Archy Bit poster

Hello Chris,
    Please check:
    1. Open System preferences -> Network. Do you see "Parallels Host-Guest" and "Parallels NAT" lines?
    If no please try the following:

a. Uninstall Parallels Desktop (Uninstaller application is available on the distribution CD)
    b. Browse to Applications->Utilities and start Disk Utility.
    c. Select your Macintosh HD in the left tab.
    d. Click the "Repair Disk Permissions" in the right tab.
    e. Once it's done, re-attempt Parallels Desktop installation.

2. If your Network settings are OK, in VM config set network to "Shared networking", run VM and install Parallels Tools.

4. catwink20

catwink20 Junior Member

Default Parallels Ethernet connection

C Cooper See if this Helps... this is a pdf I put together after I had the same problem and did a clean Parallels install. I suspect there is a problem with a firewall for a security program installed.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  5. kayte

kayte Bit poster

Similar Problem -- different cause?

I just finished going thru your 10-page recommended network set-up and I now get an err:

USB device you are trying to connect to the VM is being used by another process. Wait 5-10 secs, then try to connect again. If this doesn't help, find the app that blocked the process and disconnect it manually.

My device is a nationwide Novatel USB wifi from Verizon. Parallels sees it under devices, but the Verizon access mgr software inside XP doesn't see the network connection. I make sure that the Host version of the verizon software is closed. I am next trying a complete uninstall of the verizon on OSX to see if it helps.

MacBook Dual 1.83 G Intel
    OS 10.4.8
    Parallels w/XP Home Ed.
    :confused:

6. Archy

Archy Bit poster

Hello kayte,

To have networking inside virtual machine you only need to setup networking on your Mac.
    And then your network adapter will be used in virtual machine. No need in connecting adapter directly to VM.

7. catwink20

catwink20 Junior Member

USB Moden set-up is differrent.

The setting in my report were for Ethernet use.
    For USB Modem it would be almost completely different. I use a Novatel from Sprint with my settings. I simply sign on through my Mac set-up and use my Parallels the same as I would the Ethernet settings. If you can sign on with your Mac you should be O.K.
    On the Mac side, of course this would change your Network Port Configurations to "Your Novatel Carrier", turn off Ethernet. I use the Modem Script "EVDO Support". "PCS Intel EV-DO 1.0" seems to run well also. No error correction or No waiting for dial tone, uncheck these. I do not use any additional software for Parallels once I sign on through my Mac. This is the best way and I get the same speeds in both "environments".
    P.S. I am using my USB modem for this in Parallels. Hope this helps.