Shared Folders Problem, 3188

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by steve, Mar 28, 2007.

1. steve

steve Member

I think PSF shared folders still have problems that have not addressed with the release of the latest GA code 2.5.3188. I appears the simplest way to recreate the problem is to open an existing excel spreadsheet from a mapped PSF drive. Then, immediately save the file. Excel returns the message:

"The file '<filename>' may have been changed by another user since you last saved it. In that case, what do you want
    Save a copy
    Overwrite changed

This problem has been around for quite some time. This problem does not occur when you use a samba share. I think Parallels has ignored this issued because of the samba "work around". That was ok a year ago but I would expect this problem to have been resolved by now.

2. gustave

gustave Bit poster

Same problem for me

I am experiencing the same problem! And it is compounded by (if not caused by) the fact that saving and touching files from inside Windows XP Pro is often setting the modified date on files back to 1969. Other times it sets it forward to 2037.

This wreaks havoc on my backup systems and my directory synchronizations.

And because I travel constantly with my laptop, it is not so convenient to setup a network share to accomplish this. My IP address is always changing, etc.

Finally, the very fact that shared folders is accomplished using something like network shares presents a problem for installing software to these folders. I want to install certain types of software into a shared folder so that a) I can get at the files from OS X and so that b) I can backup the files without using backup software inside Windows XP Pro.

PLEASE take a serious look at Shared Folders. It is not working well, and it creates real problems for your users!

Thanks for listening,
    Gus

3. alexg

alexg Parallels Developers

Dear Sirs,

We have found the bug in the SF and we will fix the problem in the next update.

Best regards,
    Alexander

4. steve

steve Member

Gustave:

Yes, I've had the EXACT same problems with the dates as well. Though, I don't think I've noticed the date 1969/2037 problem so much lately with 3188 ... I'll take a closer look.

Alexg:
    Thank you! This is encouraging. Could you please summarize what problems the bug fix will address?

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

5. steve

steve Member

Filenames in shared folders

I am cross posting the following observation about shared folders here as well:

The problem relates to mapped drives using parallels shared folders. If I map a drive letter to a parallels shared folder (for instance, \\.PSF\winxp), the drive name comes up as "Network Drive (Z). It is then impossible to "rename" the drive to more than 12 characters. For that matter, you cannot change or add characters to the drive name unless it is less than 12 characters.

Furthermore, if I attempt to change the name of a FILE in a mapped drive folder, I cannot add or change characters to the filename as above. I can only delete characters until I get to a filename with less than 12 characters.

It should be noted that I've attempted to change the name of some mapped samba shares and sometimes the name change takes and sometimes it does not (same problem as above).

6. steve

steve Member

More on the filename issue.

It appears that the filenames on a FILE in a folder that is access using a PSF mapped drive are limited to 28 characters, not 12 as I mentioned in the email above.

The name of the mapped drive however, does exhibit the 12 character limitation.

7. gustave

gustave Bit poster

File name limitation

Thank you for the update on the date stamp problem. My several emails to support on this topic have gotten no reply.

I, too, have been hassling with the problem of not being able to RENAME FILES AND FOLDERS with long names under XP Pro.

It seems that I CAN supply a long name from inside an application such as Microsoft Word. And I have been working around this by simply Cmd-Tabbing to Finder and renaming the file there and then switching back to Parallels. It is a hassle, but it is not nearly as big a problem as the time/date stamps have been for me.

Will this long file name problem also be resolved in the next release?

Also, is there any plan to rework Shared Folders so they behave like a local disk rather than a network share? This would be a great help for installing software on the shares and it would be nice to get around the performance limitations of the emulated network connection.

Thanks again for listening.
    Gus

8. gustave

gustave Bit poster

Alex--can you comment on whether the fix will also address the one hour difference between timestamps shown in XP Pro versus those shown in Finder?

And the long file/folder name problem?

Fixing those two issues along with the 1969/2037 dates would be a vast improvement to the Shared Folder function.

Thanks,
    Gus