Parallels Crashes toggeling Coherance -- 3188

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by cglasel, Mar 23, 2007.

1. cglasel

cglasel Bit poster

I recently removed build 1970, which I had good luck with, and installed build 3188.

Parallels crashes when toggling between Coherence and OS window modes. Doesn't matter if I use key-stroke command or select the mode in Menu|View. Parallels just crashes.

:confused: :mad:

Also when toggling from 'full screen' to 'OS Window'

CRASH!
    MacBook Core2Duo 2GH, 2 GB
    the crash is likely to happen whether or not I'm running the XP VM

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  2. STim

STim Bit poster

Please try reinstalling Parallels Tools:
    1. Go to Start->Control Panel->Add/Remove Programs and uninstall Parallels Tools.
    2. Reboot.
    3. Install Parallels Tools again.
    4. Reboot.
    5. Check if things got better.

Also, do you use Speech Recognition on your Mac?

3. cglasel

cglasel Bit poster

Thanks for your response.

I do not use speech recognition on the Mac. I did turn it on once to see what it did. I believe it is off -- is there anything I need to do to make sure it is all the way off?

Also, I'm pretty sure you mean reboot the Windows installation, and not the Mac, right?

Thanks.

4. cglasel

cglasel Bit poster

Yup! That did it. After a quick test drive, no crashes.

THANKS!

5. steve

steve Member

Well, hold on, Parallels 3188 seems to crash unexpectedly from time to time. Not consistently as reported here but regular enough that it is a major confidence problem for me. What is being done to address stability?

Steve

6. MSUDVM

MSUDVM Member

Hi Tim, This did not correct the Coherence crash for me. Parallels runs just fine (xp & build 3188) until I try coherence and then everything crashes. I uninstalled tools and then reinstalled, but still get the crash. Any other thoughts?

Dan

7. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

are you using Zone Alarm by any chance ?

8. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

You might also try repairing disk permissions in OSX and rebooting. Worked for me.

9. MSUDVM

MSUDVM Member

Yes I am. I saw the previous post regarding the new edition of ZA. I did turn off Zone Alarm and tried to restart coherence and it crashed. Did you completely remove it? Suggestions?

Dan

10. dtidmore

dtidmore Member

I had to uninstall ZA 7.0.337 and reinstall 6.5.737. You can't regress to an older version of ZA without an uninstall and simply shutting down ZA does NOT stop the crash. I even set ZA v7 to NOT start during boot but apparently some dlls/drivers must be loaded in as that did nothing to help the situation.

I have had NO problems with ZA 6.5.737 and Parallels in any viewing mode.

david

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007
  11. MSUDVM

MSUDVM Member

That did it! Zone Alarm was the culprit. ZA version 7 can not coexist with Parallels 3188! Thanks for the help.

Dan

12. dtidmore

dtidmore Member

To CLARIFY, ZA 7.0.337 DOES work with Parallels 3186/3188 as long as you stay in OS Window or Full Screen mode. The problem is with COHERENCE mode ONLY.

It would REALLY, REALLY, REALLY be nice if Tim or someone on the Parallels team would respond to our emails on this situation. I, for one, HAVE sent them the log file and screen dump, but no response. I know that they are busy, but ZA is not some esoteric fluff program. ZA is a fully mainstream, widely used, state of the art, Firewall, Virus and Spyware app.

David

13. STim

STim Bit poster

dtidmore, everyone,

Yes, we are aware of the problem, and we are investigating it at the moment. I will come back to you as soon as we have some news or in case we need your help in further investigation. Stay tuned!

14. sharkez

sharkez Member

I am also getting the same Zone Alarm/Coherence crash but I am also seeing an increase in windows notifications that it is running low on virtual memory, with no new changes in the WinXP apps (I did keep it updated with patches.) This is new too. I normally set memory at 512MB. Anyone else seeing this?

15. Resolver

Resolver Member

Some philosophical issues

Parallels tools are playing more important role than ever now. I have noticed, there will be no problem if Parallels 3188 is installed from zero and windows is installed or mounted to it. Make sure you don't delete files which contain previously installed OS.
    Also it is a good idea to increase RAM size if you are going use it actively.
    Also Hard Drive space will bring its own benefits. Very useful are external hard drives. Some people install several OS under Parallels. They store backup, as a rule on external usb drives. So , If something goes wrong it is easy to mount a backup version of OS at any moment. My opinion is that Parallels will bring even more benefits if a user is taking care of its device power...

To be continued,
    Resolver

16. steve

steve Member

Resolver,

I'll try to be constructive.

I think we understand the importance of backing up things and certainly, yours is sage advice to all of us. However, from a simply business perspective, from what I am seeing here, the majority of satisfied Parallels customers would be classified as "early adopters". That is. those types of people who are knowledgeable and will work willingly with Parallels to tweak the software to get it going and keep it going. If you want to transition your company, and far be it for me to suggest to you how to do that but I'm going to anyway, so read on, I think you need to seriously consider that the early majority are going to need software that is rock solid and has few problems. I think in the past, Parallels has played to game fairly well. The beta program involves the early adopters and satisfies their thirst for new features and it provides invaluable feedback to your team to identify and fix the bugs. From what I see, you have created a fanatical following of users of your product. The former GA code is good for the early majority. Where I think there may be a problem is that I feel you may have been a bit hasty in the release of 3188. as it appears to have far too many problems.

Now, let me get back to the subject of this thread. I am not running Zone Alarm. My VM crashes unexpectedly from time to time. I sense that it has something to do with the networking as I think most times it has crashed I've been in the windows explorer. I am clearly an early adopter. However, to put this all in perspective, if I am doing a staff or customer presentation and my VM dies, that looks bad on me, looks bad on Apple and looks bad on Parallels. I'm a Mac fanatic now and I don't like looking bad. (Geez, if the guys I worked with 20 years ago heard me say that...). So, if things don't improve I may need to go back to the 1970 GA and I really do not want to do that.

Thanks for letting me have my say. I hope there is something here of value to your team.

Steve

17. sharkez

sharkez Member

Ever since upgrading to Zone Alarm v 7.0.337.000, Parallels 3188 crashes when put into coherence mode. I know this is happening to others. Has anyone heard of a fix for this (from Zone or Parallels?) (repost of item in another thread...)

18. drval

drval Pro

I'm both an early adopter, as you say, but also I need a rock solid platform for my development work. Parallels gives that to me but I don't yet use it to deploy MY software to MY customers and I don't do that because I need a certain form of USB-serial conversion and that is not yet reliably supported in Parallels. It's not a problem for me and my company, however, because the overwhleming majority of our customers simply want a Windows system. If someone really does want a dual-platform Mac/Windows environment, I will deploy our software using Boot Camp.

From what I've seen the majority of issues involving Parallels revolve around either USB or networking situations, generally with what I would call somewhat "unusual" applications, devices or contexts. This is, IME, generally a challenge for Windows. Yes, almost ANYTHING can be "made to work" in the Windows environment and, yes, if something is generally deployed in the Mac environment, it is ASSUMED that it will just work in that environment. But now, with Parallels and other virtualization products, we have a very interesting hybridization unfolding -- and we see this come to a head in re: to networking and USB.

Is that any great surprise?

Now none of this is meant to be a specific solution for you. Nor is it meant to say that comments about desired features, etc are unwelcome. Of course, solutions need to be found and comments are important -- that's how things move ahead. But I also think that some sense of context can be very helpful here.

19. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

As the man from Parallels said.. theyre working on it.. thats all for now.

20. sharkez

sharkez Member

just checking... That was almost a month ago...