XP Update Madness

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jbcaro, Mar 23, 2007.

1. jbcaro

jbcaro Member

Ok, every time I start XP in Parallels, Windows updater runs and says I need to install several updates. Two that have been recurring on a regular basis are KB890859 and KB929338. I can't figure out why they want to be installed over and over again. Mostly very annoying since I have to reboot. If I knew that they were actually installed and the reinstall request was just an error/bug, I would just cancel it every time (still an annoyance). One is a security update so I don't want to chance it though.

Has anyone else seen or experienced this issue? If so, were you able to resolve it?

Thanks,
    j

2. bdcnil2

bdcnil2 Junior Member

I have XP sp2 and have both of them installed. Check control panel/add or remove programs. Make sure show updates is checked at the top of the window.

3. slimemold

slimemold Hunter

This has been happening to me as well. Very annoying. Basically amounted to making me turn off automatic updates (I check for update religiously anyway, so it's not a big deal for me). But I would also appreciate an answer to this. It's the same two updates as the original poster listed.

4. sidssp

sidssp Hunter

This is a Windows problem. It happens in Boot Camp also.

5. jjbach

jjbach Bit poster

Add two more users to the list...

Hi there,

I have two machines (both Core 2 Duo MBPros) with the same issue... same two updates... over & over. :(

If anyone has any insight into a fix, I'd sure love to hear it! :confused:

Meanwhile... does anyone know if this is happening on boot-camp ONLY machines, and does anyone know if this is happening on non-Mac hardware running XP (Pro, SP2, in particular)?

Thanks in advance, all!

:cool:

6. masonjames

masonjames Junior Member

Hey all,
    I had this problem too on my core2duo macbook pro running windows xp pro... the only thing I found to do was when the automatic update popped up, if I clicked on "advanced" (or something similar... maybe "expert" or "custom" install options... having trouble remembering) I could tell it to hide the update or never remind me to update it again... I was having the same issue where the same hotfix appeared day after day, no matter how many times I applied the udpate. Hope that helps!
    Cheers!

7. stanleysiu

stanleysiu Bit poster

yep. I notice that too.
    KB890859 and KB929338 keeps poping up no matter how many times you did the update.

I suspect this is more a XP problem.

I will check if this happens to my other windows XP box.

8. jjbach

jjbach Bit poster

Likely fix

Hi all,

Found the same issue being discussed on Windows forums, so it looks like it's not a Mac hardware issue. It looks like I've got this fixed on one of my two machines so far using the following tip I found on one of those forums:

If you have this update already installed you can stop the update reminder as follows: Go into Start menu, click All Programmes, click Windows Update, click Custom and when the reminder shows it needs to be installed, untick it. It should then stop sending you reminders for that particular update.

Link to the thread:

http://forums.vnunet.com/message.jspa?messageID=784955

Hope this helps!

9. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Haven't seen this on any 'real' PCs... I think that it is Parallels related...

10. wingdo

wingdo Pro

I have seen this on a couple PCs at work. See the post directly above yours, this is a Windows issue. It may be more prevalent in Parallels, but it does happen on real PCs as well.

11. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Yep, that was posted as I was typing mine... Strange. I'll be seeing what that article suggests...

12. stanleysiu

stanleysiu Bit poster

13. RichB

RichB Junior Member

Manual install didn't fix it for me with the KB890859 update and I haven't messed with the (gulp) dangerous Registry!

Last edited: Mar 31, 2007
  14. warnergt

warnergt Member

15. Mike@Parallels

Mike@Parallels Hunter

Hello,

We are aware of problem with these updates in current version of
    Parallels Desktop. Next release should solve this issue.

Best regards,
    Mike