Cannot use parallels with boot camp - help!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by lisaw, Mar 30, 2007.

1. lisaw

lisaw Bit poster

I have read every single thing I can find on this subject. I have boot camp with xp pro sp2 that runs fine. I have my MBP with os.x 10.4 that runs fine. Before I decided to use boot camp I had installed parallels with XP as a VM on the mac. Now I would like to have another VM that uses the boot camp partition, but even with following the instructions I cannot get it to work. I create the VM, but when I go to open it I get an error message that says that the boot camp cannot be opened.

Anyone? Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

It should still work... Are you running an Administrator account? Are you doing anything that might prevent the BootCamp partition from becoming 'unmounted'?

3. lisaw

lisaw Bit poster

Thanks for responding. I only have one account on my MBP - and I'm not sure what you mean by umounted in this case. Boot camp is installed in a partition on my Mac's HD - not on an external drive. I'm not logged into boot camp when in parallels, obviously. Is there something i need to install within boot camp for parallels to see it?

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

No, it sounds like you have an admin account. Have you tried 'setting up a new virtual machine' from the Menu: File and pointing it at BootCamp, then trying to run it after typing your password, even if it says it cannot find it?

5. lisaw

lisaw Bit poster

Yes , I've done that exactly. I set up a new virtual machine from the Menu: File and pointing it at BootCamp, put in my password, and try to run it. It's not saying it can't find it - I see all the specs for the VM on the screen. It's saying it can't open it.

6. lisaw

lisaw Bit poster

update:

I got it working finally. I'm not exactly sure what the problem was, but I think the existing VM was interfering. Once I shut that down I was able to complete the installation of the boot camp VM. All is well and working fine now. At first I had no mouse support, but I reset the VM and it fixed itself.

Thanks.

7. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Glad it works, Lisa.

Cheers!