Multiple users for same Virtual Machine?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by baseliner, Mar 30, 2007.

1. baseliner

baseliner Bit poster

Hi - I'm trying this forum after Parallels support decided to ignore my questions. I have a WinXP VM setup on my MacBook and I'd like to be able to share the same VM with another user on my MacBook. I tried moving the hdd and pvs files to HD->Library->Parallels and set the permissions on both these files to Read+Write for "Others" but I get an error when I try starting Parallels from the second user's account (it starts fine when I try to start it from my own account - both accounts are administrators on my Mac).. The error says "unable to lock out" the .pvs file. What else do I need to do?

Would really appreciate any help!

Thanks,
    NG

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Hmm.... Have you tried restarting afterwards?

What happens if you make a user group, make the group the owner, then add the two users to the group?

3. joem

joem Forum Maven

Put the VM in /users/shared, and adjust the permissions so both users can read and write. You will have to modify the virtual disk location in the .pvs file as well. Just double click it, and make the change in the Parallels console. NEVER put anything in /library/<anything> unless you are really sure you know what you are doing.

4. baseliner

baseliner Bit poster

Yes I've restarted Parallels, as well as the machine but to no avail.

I tried what you suggested and created a group called Parallels, added the two users to the group, and set the Group for the .hdd and .pvs files to Parallels. I wasn't able to change the owner for these two files to a group (it only shows me usernames in the owner field). Is there a way to make a group the owner for a file?

Thanks!

5. baseliner

baseliner Bit poster

When I tried putting the VM in the Shared directory, it won't even let me open the VM anymore. As soon as I double click the .pvs file, it asks for an activation key. I entered it and it says the key is valid but there was an error saving the license file in the HD/Library/Parallels folder (and I do have admin rights). Then it goes into an infinite loop where it keeps asking me the activation key and shows me the error message all over again.. Btw, I've already set the permissions on both files to Read&Write for everyone...

6. joem

joem Forum Maven

It sounds as if the /library/parallels folder permissions got scrambled. I'd uninstall Parallels, delete the /library/parallels folder, reboot, empty the trash, reinstall Parallels, reboot the Mac, and try again. When you start the app, it will ask for the key and should have no problem accepting it. As I said before, don't mess with /library.

7. baseliner

baseliner Bit poster

Worked!

Joem - thanks for the tip to reinstall Parallels.. I reinstalled and everything magically works now! I have the hdd and pvs files in the Shared folder and am able to start up Parallels from both user accounts.

Thanks again!