USB/Serial adapter

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by jbonnett, Mar 30, 2007.

1. jbonnett

jbonnett Bit poster

We have a MAC with Windows XP installed under Parallels. We need to install an IO Gear USB/Serial adapter into Windows for use for an external modem (an Iridium satellite phone). The IO GEAR driver was installed into the Windows OS but when the adapter is plugged into the computer, Windows does not recognize anything plugged into the USB ports. Therefore the adapter cannot be configured by the Windows OS.

The driver for the adapter was also installed in the MAC OS. Could it be interfering?

Thanks!

Jeremy

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Have you looked in your Menu: Devices -> USB -> 'Item you have plugged in'?

What build are you using?

3. jbonnett

jbonnett Bit poster

Unfortunately the computer in question is in Norway and I am in California. Somebody using the same configuration suggested using

SerialClient by Craig Altenburg

http://eudyptes.com/SerialClient.php

But I thought his software was just for the Keyspan. The Keyspan unfortunately does not deal with serial modems well. At least under the Windows platform it does not. We will try SerialClient and see what happens.

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

You can tell him to check to see if the item is checked in the menu I mentioned...

5. MacUser

MacUser Member

Hello,

Can it be that the wrong driver is installed ?
    I recently installed a very cheap USB2-RS232 adapter that came with 3 different drivers, just 1 worked in parallels (XP)

BTW, you don't need to install the driver in OSX, I guess by doing this you make it harder for Parallels to get a grip on it.

Success, Wim.

6. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Yeh, problems like this are likely to happen
    1) Because of wrong driver inside Parallels VM
    2) Because of some software keeping device on the MacOS side

So the first thing has to be checked is whether device is actually visible inside windows, while the second one is - whether or not it has appropriate driver installed.

BR,
    Max