Bootcamp 1.2

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by superchink, Mar 28, 2007.

1. superchink

superchink Bit poster

Apple released Bootcamp 1.2 today. Are there any potential issues with Parallels?

I want to update but I don't want to break my existing Parallels setup (using Bootcamp).

Any experiences or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. luomat

luomat Hunter

Control, control, you must learn control...

You aren't actually expecting a timely answer from anyone @ Parallels are you?

I'd wait at least a day for the bleeding edgers to be the first ones down the mineshaft.

TjL

3. websyndicate

websyndicate Hunter

well what I did is uninstaller the boot camp drivers and just installed the isight driver because thats all i needed. No thats bleeding edge

4. michel

michel Junior Member

working fine for me

5. kongfused

kongfused Bit poster

What I would like to know is if Parallels will be supporting booting a Vista Boot Camp partition virtually. I know that it will boot an XP partition with the current release, so I'm hoping that they'll include support to boot Vista soon.

:cool:

6. nicka

nicka Member

My question is...

For those of us using the boot camp partition to use parallels, are there any issues to report? Has anyone with that type of setup installed the new driver set on windows xp? And if so, were you able to use parallels okay in OS X after the installation? And finally, after using parallels in OS X did XP actually boot again? emphasis on the last one!

Nick

7. Platinum Samples

Platinum Samples Member

Updated the drivers in Boot Camp, restarted and Boot Camp works fine.. started up in OS X and ran my Boot Camp VM and it updated the audio drivers automatically.. I ran Sound Forge and it worked okay... restarted into Boot Camp and all is okay.

Rail

8. grischa

grischa Bit poster

Windows XP crashes with new drivers

I downloaded bootcamp, extracted the driver disk and simply ran the full setup.
    Unfortunately now Windows XP crashes with a blue screen which immediately disappears when Parallels switches back to the config screen. I don't have time to read what the problem is.
    The crash happens after login, while additional software or drivers are loaded.

Has anyone experienced something similar, or has an idea which driver causes the crash, so that I can remove it?

Cheers

9. eric.trepanier

eric.trepanier Member

I have a MacBook Core Duo 2Mhz/2GB RAM with Parallels/WinXP via Boot Camp.

I successfully upgraded to Boot Camp 1.2 and later rebooted successfully under OS X and my WinXP ran just fine.

I really hope that there will be a new Parallels beta of Boot Camp support under Windows Vista coming soon!

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  10. Platinum Samples

Platinum Samples Member

grischa,

Did you install the new Mac drivers while running under Parallels???

Rail

11. Tyrven

Tyrven Bit poster

Hear, hear!

12. grischa

grischa Bit poster

yes, I installed them under parallels... I had previously installed one or all (can't remember) to get the isight working, and there was no problem back then.
    I don't actually use bootcamp to boot. My windows is on a virtual hd.

I just tried again and the blue screen stayed up long enough for me to read the error message:
    It says "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA"

any ideas anyone?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2007
  13. Platinum Samples

Platinum Samples Member

The instructions were explicitly to boot into Boot Camp and insert the Mac Driver Disk... the drivers will be installed automatically.

You probably need to try that.

14. fongyuen

fongyuen Bit poster

also wanna report that i'm not having any problems upgrading mbp 2.33 to bootcamp 1.2. running parallels now, doesn't seem to be any problems.

15. fso

fso Member

Any noticeable improvements?

16. hilmartor

hilmartor Member

Hi all,

Is it possible to use a Parallels install and convert it to BootCamp?

Cheers

17. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

There was another thread that asked the same question as this... Said that the team is undecided at the second. Probably waiting to hear if the 'early adopters' or their labs have problems. And they will hear from the early adopters... :p

18. Cynops

Cynops Junior Member

Well I just installed it on my 17" Powerbook.
    Booting directly into bootcamp works just fine. (XP Pro, fully up-to-date)
    Using parallels 1388 works but the parallels tools initialization step prior to logging into XP is now ~4 minutes long. Everything I use works just fine after logging in.

So something is slowing down the tools initialization but beyond that it seems to be working fine.

19. RichB

RichB Junior Member

Mac Windows Drivers

In Boot Camp 1.1.2 the driver files for the CD could be stored in a folder differently. There was one huge file "Install Macintosh Drivers for Windows XP.exe." In 1.2 there are many separate files in a folder called "Mac Windows Drivers."

I assume before upgrading to Boot Camp 1.2 I can create the folder on my Mac partition, launch Parallels and copy the folder to the XP partition. Then I'll shut down XP, apply the 1.2 update, boot into Boot Camp and access that folder instead of burning a CD (I know I'm cheap).

Since I'm not inserting a CD which would have "the drivers ... installed automatically" I am also assuming the file "setup.exe" is all that needs to run to initiate the install as there is no autorun.exe, right? Anyone try this yet?

20. pseudonym8

pseudonym8 Bit poster

Yes there are. I have a fresh BC1.2 w/ WinXP Pro SP2 install which Parellels build 3188 is unable to launch as a VM. More detail in this thread.

cheers.