WOW! Only missing 4 features to have me completely sold!

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by nicka, Apr 6, 2006.

1. nicka

nicka Member

This is hands down sweet. Boot Camp is nice for games, but for ppl needing to run only an ocassional XP app like myself --- this is much better. And how it blows away VPC 7! It'll take M$ a year to release a half-assed program similar to this and they'll charge 5X more and stuff some crappy OS in it.

Anyhow, my reason for posting is one critical feature is missing, and two small ones that will keep me from purchasing.

1) Internet via Airport/wireless card. VPC did it, so I know this can. How and when will this happen?
    2) USB devices, such as hard disks being recognized.
    3) Access OS X files? Does FAT32 let you communicate?
    4) Native MBP display resolution of 1440x900.

Only number 1 will keep me from buying, 2 and 3 would be nice also. 4 is least concern.

Nick

2. jmaynard

jmaynard Member

It supports Internet via the Airport card right now...in fact, that's the only way you can get networking that won't cause panics. With the VM stopped, go to its properties view, click on Network adapter, then change en0 to en1 in the selection list. Start the VM, and it'll be talking through the Airport.

3. nicka

nicka Member

LOL, and to think I did that exact thing but it must have just not worked as I only tried it once and figured it wasn't working! Thanks for the info! I guess I'm sold, though my other quirks still would be nice to have fixed unless again i'm ignorant and you can already do them?

Thanks again,
    Nick

4. ocelot27

ocelot27 Bit poster

Yeah... how do you configure windows though???

5. casioguy

casioguy Member

I have tried changing to EN1 but did not work.

6. daveschroeder

daveschroeder Member

This is a beta.

USB support will be added.

File sharing support will be added.

Full screen support will be added.

These are all known limitations of the beta. (Did you read the release notes? ;-) )

7. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

That's sweet - I did notice an EN1 option but didn't try it yet.
    D

8. dhjdhj

dhjdhj Hunter

It's a bloody brilliant beta!!!
    D

9. ppayne

ppayne Member

EN1, but what then?

I see we need to set the networking to EN1, that's good. But, is there a way to make the connection-through-Airport work from inside Windows? How do we set up Windows TCP/IP for this? (Nothing I do seems to want to work from inside Windows, it just won't connect).

By the way, major kudos to the creators of this! You have my loyalty forever!

10. ocelot27

ocelot27 Bit poster

Do you mean like a "kick-ass beta?"
    -john.

11. anshar

anshar Member

Try to download Beta2 - number of networking issues were fixed there.

12. phil

phil Bit poster

Also, FYI, you can access your OS X files from a Windows guest OS by using System Preferences -> Sharing -> Windows File Sharing (dont' forget to enable an account).

Worked for me in Beta 2.