3188: Vista upgrade - missing Standard PC driver?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by zero88a, Mar 11, 2007.

1. zero88a

zero88a Bit poster

I'm having problems upgrading to Vista from XP SP2 with build 3188.
    After doing Actions > Prepare Windows Vista Upgrade, I go through the Vista Business Upgrade install process. After selecting what drive to install on, I get the error 'Windows cannot be installed to this disk. Windows needs the driver for device [Standard PC]. Click "Load drivers" and load the required device driver.' I don't know why the installer can't see the driver files (though I can see them in the system32 folder). Even when I try the 'Load Drivers' from the XP install disc, the Vista installer hangs while trying to read the disc, so this route is not possible.

I had tried this with 4 fresh XP installs, as well as with build 3170; no luck.

Anyone have any ideas what is causing this problem?

Thanks.

2. abanks

abanks Hunter

When you install XP do you install the Parallels tools each time too?

3. zero88a

zero88a Bit poster

Yes, I install Parallel Tools each time I install XP.

4. abanks

abanks Hunter

What hardware are you using to run Parallels?

5. zero88a

zero88a Bit poster

I am running Parallels on an MBP 2GHz Core Duo, 2GB RAM, 10.4.8.

6. deafeater

deafeater Bit poster

I have the exact same problem.

I have:

24" Imac 2.33 Core 2 Duo, 3GB, 10.4.8
    PD 3188 with XP sp2

and trying til install Vista Business

Last edited: Mar 12, 2007
  7. deafeater

deafeater Bit poster

Anyone? :eek:

8. BConvery

BConvery Bit poster

Any ideas?

I have the same issue, and I am dead in my tracks... has anyone determined if there is a way around this or know if Parallels will be fixed to handle this issue??? :(

9. tedhogan

tedhogan Bit poster

same

Hey guys,

I have the same exact problem.

Needless to say my look of joy at finding this thread quickly turned to dismay at the deafening silence on here.... :(

Have you had any luck yet?? We can't be the only ones.

Ted

10. Archy

Archy Bit poster

Hello everybody!
    Thank you for reporting.
    I need to ask you: do you use BootCamp partition with WinXP in Parallels and want to upgrade your BootCamp image to Vista?

11. kosh

kosh Member

Just decided to take the Vista Upgrade plunge myself tonight. Same problem. For me I am not using BootCamp. Just a Windows XP sp2 guest installed in a Parallels virtual disk (.hdd).

My hardware: Intel Mini, 1.66 GHz Core Duo, 2 GB RAM. VM set to 768 MB RAM.
    Parallels build 3188.
    Installing: Vista Home Premium

Last edited: Mar 29, 2007
  12. jakeller

jakeller Bit poster

Same problem here

Running 3188 with latest Parallels Tools on a Mac Pro with 4GB of RAM. Currently XP Media Center Edition SP2 installed. Did the "prepare for Vista" thing before trying to install. Have never touched Boot Camp.

13. hirnschmalz

hirnschmalz Bit poster

also this problem

Hi there,

I also got the Problem when I tried to upgrade to Windows Vista on my 17" MacBook Pro with 2GB of RAM. A solution would be fine!

14. siddallg

siddallg Bit poster

More of the same

Having the same issue. Parallels please help us!!!:(

15. tomn68

tomn68 Bit poster

Ditto

Same problem with the Standard PC driver. Surprised that there aren't any detailed instructions or FAQs on how to upgrade an XP VM to Vista.

16. arlomedia

arlomedia Bit poster

me too...

...eager to find an answer.

I installed XP into a new virtual machine, then cloned that virtual machine to do a Vista installation. I selected the Prepare Windows Vista Upgrade option, and Parallels updated my VM, then told me to start it up. When the VM boots up, a message appears that says "Parallels desktop is ready to start upgrading.... Insert your Vista upgrade CD/DVD and click OK." When I click OK, nothing happens. When I run the installer myself, I get stuck on the step described above.

17. dan55304

dan55304 Bit poster

Me too!

Same problem here trying to upgrade XP SP2 to Vista. I saw a post elsewhere that makes me think it's related to using a Vista upgrade disk. My upgrade disk came from Dell. Is it somehow locked to the Dell hardware?:mad:

18. arlomedia

arlomedia Bit poster

Re: not Dell...

The problem might be with the upgrade CD, because that's what I have. But I don't think the problem is that you have a Dell CD, because I have a retail CD and it's still not working.

19. joymac

joymac Bit poster

Me too!

And it's getting frustrating. I only bought the Business Vista so I can make all my client sites compatible with IE Vista, and it's not working on Parallels.

Help!

20. Stevamundo

Stevamundo Pro