Unpublicized Forum?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by RichB, Mar 31, 2007.

1. RichB

RichB Junior Member

Why isn't this forum publicized anywhere on the Parallels web site? Doing a search for the word "forum" on your support page only finds Apple Worldwide Developer Forum!

2. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Last I looked it was mentioned only on Ben's blog. It was pulled from the Support menu at the top of this page so that Parallels customers would have a better experience with Parallels and support without interference from non-users.

Many of us think it was pulled because the chaos here makes Parallels look like badly supported product used by a lot of very unhappy and unsatisfied users, and that as a first impression it wasn't cutting it. But what do we know...

3. CorpSuit

CorpSuit Junior Member

I found references to the forums in the instruction manual under support (page 4) and in the latest build PDF (page 237). I suspect it is a combination of a few things, one of which is that they don't want potential buyers to see the forums in its current state.

What I found the most interesting was that I popped over to the novadevelopment.com website, which I am not sure the relationship, and found that they listed Build 3186 as the latest update for Parallels. And it describes what is new with that version. Too bad it doesn't really list 3187 new features (or fixes).

They do list under support this forum though, and that is how I found the forums a few weeks back.

Has anyone called Tech Support in Calabasas before? And how did that work out?

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

I actually found it via Google.com....

5. nivenh

nivenh Member

maybe they wanted to be sure people looked at the manual before coming here.

6. David5000

David5000 Pro

Which manual are you using? In mine ("Parallels Desktop for Mac User Guide.pdf"), p. 4 is part of the Table of Contents and a search for ".com" does not turn up a forum URL.

David

7. ericthered

ericthered Member

Poor Support

My guess is that they didn't want prospective SUCKERS to know just how awful their tech support is.
    :mad:

8. flynsqrls

flynsqrls Junior Member

you know A LOT!
    ...if i had found this forum prior to buying PD, it would still be on the shelf!!!

blue skies,

9. flynsqrls

flynsqrls Junior Member

tech support in Calabasas (818 area code)

yeah, i did that yesterday... (before finding this forum and within minutes of reading the user manual)

after about a 5-10 minute wait, i did talk to someone who was quite patient and answered many of my questions regarding something on page 16 of the manual:

"to install and successfully run PD you should have:
    * a full (not OEM) version of the operating system you wish to install."

...was told an OEM version will NOT work, but an UPGRADE version using a prior XP activation key would work in a pinch... and that the full retail version was the best bet!

...reading thru' these various forums, it seems that the OEM versions have worked... no mention of Upgrade versions working... but ftw (fhat-the-wuck), it seems no matter what version i end up using... problems will be waiting to ambush me around every turn!!!

i really see the potential in PD, but not just yet it seems... someone correct me if i am wrong here... (and convince me otherwise, as i would rather keep PD as opposed to send it back for the refund!)

blue skies,

10. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Yeah, but there are legal reasons for them to not want people to use OEM... It's a gray area.

I personally find Norton more destructive than Parallels... You have people ranting about Norton... I actually spent an entire DAY sorting out the mess Norton caused with my MBRs on a machine that was CRITICAL to our operation... That was when I learned the need for back-up DISK IMAGES. Norton support answered the phone, yes, but they just made me preform the same f***in thing EACH time I went through support, NEVER solving the issue. In fact, I had to reformat the entire drive after dumping the data, and it WAS a supported use of the software...

Ok, the whole point of that is that many people use the software in manners no supported, or have used a BETA at times. Parallels is NOT responsible for this, I repeat NOT responsible. Yes, it is nice when they help out.

Paralells DOES need to improve support and the stability of their 'final releases' of their products, but it is not the mess that some people are making it to be.

11. dkp

dkp Forum Maven

Norton support is there to solve their problem, not yours. They need to make their product run as advertised or get it uninstalled, not unravel your damage or even tell you why the problem happened in the first place. For that you need an engineer.