No sound in windows XP =(

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by doomwrap, Mar 26, 2007.

1. doomwrap

doomwrap Junior Member

Hello,

I'm running build 3188 and i have a problem i can't seem to solve.

I run parallels off my boot camp partition, windows XP sp2, and everything else
    runs alright except it has no sound. Windows tells me "no audio device detected" and trying to install drivers of any type doesnt work. However when i boot it natively with boot camp the sound works fine.

I use a Macbook Core 2 Duo, anyone else who encountered this problem can enlighten me how to solve this?

Thanks alot =)

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Are Parallels tools installed?
    Are the BootCamp tools installed?

3. doomwrap

doomwrap Junior Member

yup, both are installed, boot camp drivers should be fine as the sound works perfectly when i run boot camp natively, but when i use parallels to boot my boot camp partition it doesn't work =(

4. David Graham

David Graham Junior Member

Check your Sound device

This happened to me too, and it turns out that I was missing the Sound device in the Configuration Editor.

• If Windows is running, shut it down normally
    • On the Parallels Configuration screen, select Edit > Virtual Machine
    • If Sound is not in the resource list, add it; otherwise make sure it's enabled.

HTH

- Dave

5. doomwrap

doomwrap Junior Member

Hello Dave,

I've checked the list and the sound is already there, i've tried removing it and adding it again, but windows xp still claims i don't have an audio device =(

Am i the only one out there with this problem >_<?

6. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

What does your Hardware Configuration claim inside of 'System'?

7. TexasDavid

TexasDavid Bit poster

Similar Problem

I have a similar problem. However I do get sound for periods of time and then at other times I do not. I use a VOIP phone that runs in Windows XP and it works sometimes, and at others the sound does not. Windows reports no sound device. Basically while I'm talking on the phone I stop hearing the person I am speaking with.

Any ideas?

8. doomwrap

doomwrap Junior Member

Hi Eru,
    What do you mean by inside of 'System'? If its inside windows XP it only tells me that i have no audio device, and the driver for the hardware device doesn't work, updating the driver in anyway doesn't work, however this works fine when i boot it natively =(

9. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

TexasDavid and Doomwrap,

If you go Control Panel -> System and then you find the information on your hardware list, I was wondering it if shows up as a device with an error... It sounds like it does...

Here is a thread that had an issue with warbled sound and they did some fixes, it seems like it might be the answer to your problem.

Let me know if it helps. http://forums.parallels.com/showthread.php?t=10381&highlight=sound+windows+xp

10. doomwrap

doomwrap Junior Member

I've looked at that thread and it seems like they have a different problem, my parallels just keeps telling me no driver is installed for my audio device, which i know isn't true as it works fine on the same partition when booted natively. Could this be a problem limited to running off boot camp partitions?

11. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Maybe. I know there is not a direct correlation between issues, I just thought that some of the things they tried might help your issue... Did you try anything suggested?

I'm just fishing for ideas.

12. doomwrap

doomwrap Junior Member

Yea i've tried it but nothing seemed to have changed for me =(

13. Ynot

Ynot Pro

In Parallels configuration editor check please that type of sound device is Default and not loopback.

14. doomwrap

doomwrap Junior Member

I have "Default Audio" checked for both input and output sound device, but i don't have loopback to choose from in the list, only null audio for both of them. Or am i clicking the wrong place? This menu says Configuration Editor

15. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Have you tried un-installing and re-installing Parallels?