XP frozen - VM shut down, now will not boot

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by ericthered, Mar 20, 2007.

1. ericthered

ericthered Member

My VM (running from boot camp on a separate drive, not a partition) would freeze after OSX went into sleep mode. I was forced to shut down the VM without exiting windows and the Windows OS was corrupted.

I have repaired the XP installation and it will boot fine using boot camp but will not run under parallels *(BSOD on boot attempt)

I deleted the old VM and tried to create a new VM using the boot camp installation but no luck.

Any suggestions?

2. ericthered

ericthered Member

sorry for multiple posts, my browser gave error msg when I tried to post

Not much help here I see...

I'm about to give up on parallels, looks like I wasted my $$ - boot camp is a pain but at least it works.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2007
  3. ericthered

ericthered Member

Still no response on this issue either on this forum or through the e-mail support.

Please help me out. I have reinstalled both XP and Parallels but each time I try to boot my XP as a VM parallels corrupts it again and I have to repair XP (which is a real time waster)

Again, XP runs just fine in Bootcamp but parallels will not boot it in a VM. I have started XP in safe mode via bootcamp and deleted every reference to parallels and this seemed to help but once again the Vm froze and then corrupted XP when I had to kill the VM without shutting XP down.

Someone tell me how to get Parallels to play nice with bootcamp, please.

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Hello Eric,

Firstly, what is your configuration (i.e. Parallels Build, Hardware Specs, OS Version)?

Have you tried re-installing Parallels tools and/or Parallels?

5. ericthered

ericthered Member

OSX 10.4.9
    Parallels has been uninstalled and reinstalled (three times now). I've tried ver 3188 and rolled back to ver 3170. Both perform the same.

I have a Mac Pro with 2G ram, Win XP Pro SP2 installed through Bootcamp on a seperate NTFS formatted drive. This drive is dedicated to XP and has one 300 G partition.

I have not gotten parallels to run XP in a VM since my VM stopped responding after my Mac Pro went to sleep. After I was forced to stop the VM without shutting down XP, Parallels corrupted XP and I had to repair XP through bootcamp.
    Each time I make an attempt to run XP in parallels, the bootcamp XP has been corrupted since.
    I have run regedit in Xp safe mode to remove all references to Parallels but it still won't work and corrupts my XP if I try to open a VM.

Thank you for your assistance.

6. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Hmm... Splitting it across multiple drives tends to cause trouble I have heard... Have you tried imaging your drive, creating a partition on your primary drive via BootCamp, and then dropping your files onto your new BootCamp?

I don't have the technical knowledge to be able to tell you where and how the proper hardware paths should be set. All I can think of is making your install more 'standard'.

7. ericthered

ericthered Member

I just wasted my time and money on this software then. I thought it was intended as a serious application not a toy that can only be run on a few specific configurations. The development team really needs to get serious about supporting their customers as well.

I appreciate your help but it's very disapointing that they can't seem to answer their email.

I do not want to use up space on my primary drive for a NTFS partition and I need the space on the NTFS drive for windows applications and media. BOOTCAMP (A FREE BETA) works just fine, whereas this released version - that I paid for - crashes my system. I am obviously not the only MAc Pro user having fits with this software.

It seems to me they need to go back to development before offering this product for sale.

8. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

I have similar gripes in many regards. I found it the best option.

Sadly, it seems that people with complicated set-ups must hotfix their software.

Seeing your frusteration, would the WINE project solve your needs? Back-up your data and give it a try, who knows, it might work fine for you. We use Parallels because we have Windows specific software and it takes less time for me to troubleshoot the Parallels when it breaks then to deal with a fully utilized Windows OS every day. My time spent fixing things is less... I find breaks less frequent, but of the 'wipe and drop image' nature when they do happen.

If all client computers need 98%+ uptime, don't use Parallels. If you can have some go down for a day and have the client use another computer it is tolerable for the production environment. I know this is not 'being responsible' about the job in the usual sense, but in the reality it is the case. My server is up 98-99% of the time with Parallels, but the Parallels is only hosting an MSSQL DB.

9. ericthered

ericthered Member

Still no assistance from Paralles on this.

10. JByron

JByron Junior Member

I have had a similar issue occur on my system. Occasionally when my Mac Pro goes to sleep with Parallels running, Parallels will not respond upon wake, forcing me to attempt to Force Quit Parallels. This never works fully, forcing me to do a hard restart on the Mac.

Like ericthered I an using Bootcamp installed on a seperate NTFS formated drive.

Unlike ericthered I have not had corruption of the XP OS, nor have I gotten BSODs YET!

I would love to know what Parallels is doing to fix this problem!

11. Platinum Samples

Platinum Samples Member

I had a similar issue - I repaired Boot Camp and it worked fine but Parallels couldn't load that VM or any newly created VM for the Boot Camp installation. Their tech support said I had to reinstall Boot Camp and XP from scratch which I did and that fixed it -- sort of overkill.. but no other solution that I know of exists.

Rail