XP wont boot anymore

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by logandzwon, Mar 22, 2007.

1. logandzwon

logandzwon Member

I had Parallels working fine with my Boot Camp. Then all of a sudden, it crashed while XP was shutting down. Now it wont boot in BC and in parallels it says, "Unable to open disk image Boot Camp!"

2. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Have you tried restarting your computer?

Are you using an Administrator user account?

Does the partition show up in Disk Utility (Hard Drive/Applications/Disk Utility or ? + SpaceBar then type 'Disk Utility' without quotes)?

Have you tried booting from BootCamp?

Did it crash while in BootCamp or Parallels?

Finally, what is your set-up? (i.e. OS Version, Parallels Build, Hardware config)

3. ericthered

ericthered Member

The OP stated that he can't boot in bootcamp. It seems like this is another case of Parallels corrupting the BC install of XP. The parallels team has obviousyl got it's work cut out as there are a lot of us that are having issues with bootcamp and parallels getting along nicely.

I would not have purchased this bug ridden software if I had known what a PITA it would be.

The first priority should be ensuring that Parallels doesn't corrupt other data.

4. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Are you running the RCs? If so, these are known/predicted to be unstable... Hence the reason they are RCs...

Eric, I replied to your thread, and I can see if I can't help you out a bit!

5. ericthered

ericthered Member

I am not running a RC.

6. logandzwon

logandzwon Member

Everything was cool running the RC3 then 3186. I updated to 3188 and alittle while it happened. I tried everything mentoned here. Parallels crashed while XP was trying to shutdown. Hasn't worked since. I've gone back to a non-BC install. It seems to work a lot better as a vm only system. Also back-ups are easier.

7. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Actually, I found BootCamp Back-ups incredibly easy... Just image the Partition!

Hopefully things are working now... In case you do start playing around with things again, you can try booting into safe mode (F8) and then un-installing Parallels tools...

8. ericthered

ericthered Member

Still no help from Parallels

9. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Eric,
    I don't want to sound rude, but as I recall, your issue was with splitting Parallels with BootCamp across multiple drives which is unsupported, right?

I recently had an issue and heard back from them almost instantly, even though the logs pointed at it not being their fault.

If this is a supported feature, solve me... Maybe you can take another approach and ask for ideas on how to accomplish your issues. I would love to help, but I don't have any computers that have a similar set-up (multiple drives and Intel Apple) that I can take out of the production environment. But one of the other 'forum regulars' might have some ideas.

10. ericthered

ericthered Member

I thought I was asking for ideas on how to solve this problem. I have not heard that this is not supported. There is no information anywhere that indicates that it isn't a supported function and I really don't think that having the XP install on a separate disk is the issue.

My biggest complaint right now is that the support team doesn't respond to their e-mails. The web page states 3 days max and I've just not seen that.

I do appreciate your time but I really need some assistance - I have not been able to use the software that I have paid for for several weeks now and have just about given up entirely on this product. I'm thinking about filing a complaint with the BBB and requesting a refund as the company has in my opinion not fulfilled it's promises WRT support and function.

11. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Sadly it seems as if we have another internet mis-communication...

I just wanted to flag that your set-up is not a 'supported set-up' (as far as I have seen, they only support 'standard' BootCamp partitioned set-ups), no more, no less. I would love to help you more, your issue seems interesting to someone not suffering from it, but I don't have the computer set-up to do so.

I hope you can get some help.

Hope I made sense and do not seem offensive.

Cheers!

12. ericthered

ericthered Member

Eru,

No offense taken. I now understand your comment about non-supported installations.

The parallels team certainly has not provided me with support so I guess I am 'unsupported' \
    Anyone else out there willing to offer advice?