Networking in parallels

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by Simian, Apr 2, 2007.

1. Simian

Simian Bit poster

I have a macbook pro and am encountering a strange problem.

My network connection for parallels works fine when I plug in the ethernet cable in my office (setting: bridged ethernet, default adaptor). But the same setting doesn't work at home with wireless, or even with an ethernet cable from the cable modem plugged in. Changing the parallels network settings to shared or host-only, or even en0/en1 makes no difference, i.e., nothing will make networking come alive in windows. Meanwhile, the mac side of things works fine (i.e., with an ethernet cable or with airport).

I'd appreciate any help on what I can do next. My build: 3188.

2. darkone

darkone Forum Maven

what at home, do the en2 and en3 interfaces have ip addresses ?

does windows get an ip address (thats not 169.xx.xx.xx) ?
    if so, what is it ?

Have you tried (i found i had to do this sometimes) enabling Internet sharing betwene the airport and en2/en3, in OSX

3. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

Also, make sure that you are using the proper TCP/IP settings. Exemplum Gratiae, We have static in our office, and I have DHCP at home...

4. markintosh13

markintosh13 Member

Check network port configurations in Network System Preference in OS X - Make sure En2 and En3 are there.

Reboot OS X.

After that, it'll probably work for a while.

I find that switching between dhcp ethernet and dhcp airport at home leads to a situation where the dhcp airport at home renews the IP every couple of minutes - MSN constantly disconnects and reconnects as a result.

Going to Shared networking - with sharing my airport connection with En2 and En3 through the Sharing Preference in OS X - solves this (but makes switching locations more manual).