My parallel problems (pls help)

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by slipperyfloor, Apr 2, 2007.

1. slipperyfloor

slipperyfloor Bit poster

So I finally got my parallel installed with Vista today on my macbook. I tried to install parallel tools, a warning pops out, saying you have to be using a guest system or something, i clicked okay, something installed, and it restarted by itself, and when its done, i didnt see the parallel icon on the corner. I do the same thing again and it made no difference. Another problem is my vista has no sound at all, or no sign of sound device. And I also have another question, if i make a connection from my osx folder to VM. Will OSX get the viruses from Windows?

Much help would be greatly appreciated. :)

2. tacit_one

tacit_one Pro

Well, you definitely should see the Parallels Logo in the status bar when Parallels Tools are correctly installed.

Make sure that when you choose 'Install Parallels Tools' windows really starts the PTStart.exe binary from the CDRom of your virtual machine.

Once it's started, follow it's advices and in the end. This should take a while. You will be asked if you want to reboot.

After the reboot you should see the Parallels icon in the Status bar.
    Did it work for you?

3. slipperyfloor

slipperyfloor Bit poster

PTStart.exe did start from my virtual cd drive. But it didnt ask me if i want to reboot or not, it simply decides by itself. And when I reboot I started to search for it in my program files and I found the file, but i dont know what to do with it. There is no whatsoever icon on the corner still.

4. slipperyfloor

slipperyfloor Bit poster

OH I SEE IT! I see the icon!

Okay, next problem. What about the sound? How do I get the sound to work?

5. flynsqrls

flynsqrls Junior Member

sorry... not able to help as i am very new to all of this!
    being this new, would you suggest i put my Parallels Desktop install cd away for awhile and just enjoy using my MacBook and its OS-X?

reading the parallels team response:

"Make sure that when you choose 'Install Parallels Tools' windows really starts the PTStart.exe binary from the CDRom of your virtual machine."

...i would not have any idea what to do!!!

any chance we can keep in touch while you work out the glitches... and maybe walk me through the process weeks/months from now?!

blue skies and i hope sound works for you soon! :eek:)

6. slipperyfloor

slipperyfloor Bit poster

Thanx Flynsqrls.

But I really need to use this windows for video games and syching my mp3. So any help for the Sound would be a awesome. I've been googling all day for the solution but couldn't find one that works.. :(

7. purpanther

purpanther Bit poster

You'll need bootcamp for game performance. Sound works great in XP for me on my MBP. So does everything else ... I think my usb skype phone was acting kind of wierd once but it might have been over a vpn or something .. no worries!

8. Eru Ithildur

Eru Ithildur Forum Maven

I would second that for games. You need to get BootCamp. And you can run Parallels off of the BootCamp partition.

9. slipperyfloor

slipperyfloor Bit poster

I dont understand, I do have Boot Camp, but how exactly do you run parallels on bootcamp? Cuz I thought if you install your windows in bootcamp you'll have to restart to use it. Thats pretty much the reason why I got Parallel.