Increasing the VM image size non-destructively?

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop for Mac' started by peterwor, Apr 27, 2006.

1. peterwor

peterwor Hunter

Is there any way to increase the size of my VM HD image without trashing the existing image?
    I made the mistake of only making the HD 10G and now I'm running out of space, I want to increse it to say 20G but I don't want to lose what I have and have to reinstall Windows all over again,
    I read about the image tool kit (or whatever its called) but its not available for OSX so am I really SOL?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    TIA,
    Peter

2. mlandel

mlandel Member

I solved this as follows for FAT32 partitions (dynamic sized):

1) download the following freeware (google to find):
    g4u - this is ghost for unix and will copy a FAT32 drive
    presizer - this will will resize the copied drive/partition to use the added space
    2) create a new drive/image that is the size that you want
    3) add the new drive/image to your VM or create a new VM that has both drives/images
    4) boot the g4u cd image to copy the small drive/image to the large drive/image.
    This takes a while.
    5) boot from the presizer floppy image and run presizer on the larger drive/image. This adds the unused space to the parition, making it a copy of the smaller drive, only bigger.
    6) arvhive the small .hdd file for safety and transition to the new larger .hdd. I change the names to transisition as I like my primary drive image file to have the same name as the VM.

That's it!. It's actually reasonably straight-forward and makes use of freely avaialbe tools. This is the same process that can be used on real PC's to transition from a smaller to a larger hard drive.

Matt

3. peterwor

peterwor Hunter

M,
    Thanks, do you think you could elaborate just a little?
    1) G4U, I'm using OSx as my host will G4U run?
    2) I get the part about creaating a new VM of larger size, obviously blank to start.
    3) When yoy say "add" the new drive image to your VM what do you mean?
    4) How do I boot the g4u cd iamge?
    5) How do I boor from teh presizer image?

I'd really appreciate some more deatil.

TIA,
    Peter